cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get started in repairing my bad credit??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to get started in repairing my bad credit??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've decided to start trying to repair my credit. I have a few late payments. Here is what I have:

30 days past due as of Dec 2013, Sep 2013

30 days past due as of Nov 2013

90 days past due as of Jan 2014

60 days past due as of Dec 2013

30 days past due as of Nov 2013, May 2011

30 days past due as of Jul 2011

These are from 4 different credit cards. I was stupid in college and would forget to pay my credit card or just would pay late. Is there anything I can do with these? I am thinking about doing a credit repair company, but if I can get the information on how to repair it myself, I would happily do it myself Smiley Happy

I know you can send good will letters, but I just don't know what address to send them to? How do I find this information?

And can I dispute just late payments? I am very much wanting to fix my credit because I would love to buy a house at some point, or get a car loan, and the score I have right now just won't allow me to do that. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

-Jason

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where to get started in repairing my bad credit??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

That's alot of late payments.

Generally speaking, 30 day lates lose their effect on scores after 2 years...unless they are accompanied by a history of paying late.  You seem to have qualified for this distinction.

I'd focus on GW for the 60 and 90.  That 90 from 2014 is killing you.  So is the 60 but mostly because you are a "late payer" and it's still not 2 years old.

If you can GW the 90, you will see a significant increase in scores once the 60 passes the 2 year mark.

That 90 day late will stick with you for 7 years otherwise.

The GW letters will usually go to the Executive Office of your card.  State your case and tell them you're a loyal customer and you've made every payment on time since then.

Good luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where to get started in repairing my bad credit??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You can do everything, possibly even more, than a credit repair agency.  Most people who have used them thought they could do a better job on their own.  They are paid per month; why would they work quickly?!  You are really not looking at that much time per month once you do research on here.  Who issued the cards? 

There are a few examples of goodwill success on here from online chats too.  Basically, English is often a second language for the chat peeps and sometimes they will respond that they can do goodwill deletions (when they are most likely thinking of deleting late fee payments).  People on here then printed the logs and sent to the creditors and lates were removed.  I think someone said Capital One said it was not a "goodwill deletion" but rather "a sound business decision."  I hit the BoA chats about 20 times and finally got someone to say they can do a goodwill deletion and mailed the transcript to BoA.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is such a great idea! I have time on my hands so I will try that out! I know the other cards I should be able to get those off pretty easily with GW letters, but the one card, which is a US Bank one, with the 90 late fee one is going to be hard because the account was closed. So I am not sure if they will be happy to do that. Is there a way to say that you will pay off the rest of the balance if they delete it from being reported? It's a $5000 limit and I still have about $2000 left on the card so I was keeping it somewhat high so I could have the oppurtunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will start doing the online chats and see if I can get anything. Thank you!!!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is such a great idea! I have time on my hands so I will try that out! I know the other cards I should be able to get those off pretty easily with GW letters, but the one card, which is a US Bank one, with the 90 late fee one is going to be hard because the account was closed. So I am not sure if they will be happy to do that. Is there a way to say that you will pay off the rest of the balance if they delete it from being reported? It's a $5000 limit and I still have about $2000 left on the card so I was keeping it somewhat high so I could have the oppurtunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will start doing the online chats and see if I can get anything. Thank you!!!

I would not approach goodwill letters as being able to get lates removed "pretty easily."  The majority of the peeps on here have sent multtiple rounds of letters as goodwill on the first request is the exception, not the norm.  When I first found this forum I read success stories and then fired off some emails and letters and got all no's and was a bit down.  Have realistic expectations and be persistent and do not give up.  Nineteen no's and then one yes is a victory for us.

Yes, you can request a pay for delete PFD.  Lots of threads on here about them.  Whatever you do DO NOT send payment without a written agreement.  People have made phone agreements and got screwed.

Message 5 of 7
SEngland1985

GW letters go a long way. I've been extremely lucky in having most of my late payments and such removed with first attempt GW letters and a couple of PTDs.  What I'd recommend is really look at your credit report and make sure things are accurate.  I've had so many things on there that were either very old or inaccurate that's been removed.  Start taking care of those things and pay your bills on time.  There are so many resources available for those willing and trying. 

Message 6 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

GW letters is your best approach for resolution, especially on the 90 day date.   Persistence is key to GW efforts.   It can take several tries to have success, but keep trying.   You can start with the addresses on your credit reports.   Writing to the CCC's EO can often be successful, too.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.