cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start when Building my Credit...

tag
Lilkriminal34neb

Where to start when Building my Credit...

Hello all, this is my first post, so bare with me... I checked my equifax and it says I have a 629.. And that is better than where I used to be, but I hope to get in the 700's by JAN 2013... I am currently about to purchase a car in the next week.. I have 3 credit cards.. I have a Military Star Card (550 balance, limit is 1350), A Best Buy rewards card (0 balance, limit is 500), and a Zales Card. (0 balance, limit is 750).. Should I completely pay off the Star Card, and use it for gas like once a month and pay it completely off.. How should I go about using the Military star card. Also how should the best buy and zales card be used to build credit, if possible.. I have one installment loan for about 2000, and its for a year, so should I pay on it that long, or pay off early?... Sorry for ramblin,   just need a good base line of what I need to do in order to build my credit more.. Oh, and my AAoA is only about 1yr, 10mnths.. Oldest being 3yr 6mnths... If that means anything... Thanks in advance for any info...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to start when Building my Credit...

Welcome to the forums.

Did you get your score from this website, or the EQ site directly...sometimes they'll sneak a FAKO in on you, unless you see the FICO name next to it.

Message 2 of 11
qd
Regular Contributor

@Lilkriminal34neb wrote:

Hello all, this is my first post, so bare with me... I checked my equifax and it says I have a 629.. And that is better than where I used to be, but I hope to get in the 700's by JAN 2013... I am currently about to purchase a car in the next week.. I have 3 credit cards.. I have a Military Star Card (550 balance, limit is 1350), A Best Buy rewards card (0 balance, limit is 500), and a Zales Card. (0 balance, limit is 750).. Should I completely pay off the Star Card, and use it for gas like once a month and pay it completely off.. How should I go about using the Military star card. Also how should the best buy and zales card be used to build credit, if possible.. I have one installment loan for about 2000, and its for a year, so should I pay on it that long, or pay off early?... Sorry for ramblin,   just need a good base line of what I need to do in order to build my credit more.. Oh, and my AAoA is only about 1yr, 10mnths.. Oldest being 3yr 6mnths... If that means anything... Thanks in advance for any info...

Yup...start by getting your real FICO scores and getting your hands on your three reports to see what is actually be reported. Paying down cc down to zero or close to zero always helps your scores.

Message 3 of 11
Lilkriminal34neb

I played for it from the Equifax site...
Message 4 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

...eeewwww. Chances are that's a fako. 

Message 5 of 11
Lilkriminal34neb

Paid** but yeah I have a printout that says FICO on it..
Message 6 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I am currently about to purchase a car in the next week (Your score will drop due to multiple pulls, which is typical for buying a car. Good news is that it'll recover, and Fico scoring will treat it as one individual pull, if done within a two week window).. I have 3 credit cards.. I have a Military Star Card (550 balance, limit is 1350)(Pay it down under 10 percent for max points), A Best Buy rewards card (0 balance, limit is 500), and a Zales Card. (0 balance, limit is 750)(Perfect senario 2 with no balance, once showing under 10 pct for max scoring).. Should I completely pay off the Star Card, and use it for gas like once a month and pay it completely off.. How should I go about using the Military star card. Also how should the best buy and zales card be used to build credit, if possible.. I have one installment loan for about 2000, and its for a year, so should I pay on it that long, or pay off early?(Loans don't impact fico as much as a typical revolving line of credit, simply because they're secured nine times out of ten)... Sorry for ramblin,   just need a good base line of what I need to do in order to build my credit more.. Oh, and my AAoA is only about 1yr, 10mnths.. Oldest being 3yr 6mnths... If that means anything... Thanks in advance for any info...(Age will be your greatest asset. You're actually doing good right now).

*edit:

Fico it says...fico it is.

Message 7 of 11
Lilkriminal34neb

Thanks, so I need to pay that card down, and pretty much just let the time past.. And when spending with that card, not to spend more than $135 a month and pay it off... (10% of 1350) I believe I can do that..
Message 8 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

You can use the card to your heart's content, but know when they report their balances, and cut their statements. 

For example...

Zync...due by 5th...

I used it for 2k through month. Don't want that to report though (I know my fellow myficoians...non util card bad choice)...

I'd pay whatever I could before the "cut date"...4th, leaving let's say... 20 bucks.

They cut their bill on the 5th..showing my 20.00, due at whatever day the bill says...this is what the CRA's get their hands on...this is what affects your utilization.

*edit...and the key is under 10%.

Message 9 of 11
Lilkriminal34neb

I gotcha... like I said, gas once a month, its due on the 14th, but I pay it on the first every month..
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.