Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to start??

I'm new and have been reading many success stories. I have been working on rebuilding my credit and now I have the means to actually pay some things off but I want to go about it in the best way to benefit my credit score. I thought I would start by sending out PFD letters and see where to go from there. I have written all the letters and just emailed one to AFNI since I found an email address to send it to. Could someone please give me a little direction as I am still very new to this.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to start??

You should figure out your state's SoL.  You should also opt out at optoutprescreen.com to avoid having CAs that have been lurking noticing activity on your credit report and start coming after you. 

You should prioritize your debt based on how recent it is, how serious it is, and how much money you have available to deal with it.

I personally recommend sending DVs before PfDs - sometimes items will go away like this, sometimes they'll offer you a settlement and you'll get an idea of how much to offer in a PfD. 

Do not send a DV or a PFD unless a debt is either outside your state's SoL OR you could pay in full if necessary.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.