cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cap One Card is better, Platnium or QS1??

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Which Cap One Card is better, Platnium or QS1??

My daughter's credit score sky rocketed 2 weeks ago, she's over 640!  Now she qualifies for both Cap One Platnium and Cap One QS1, which one is the better card?  She has a 1st Premiere and a QS1 already.

Thanks for the help.

Starting all over again!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Cap One Card is better, Platnium or QS1??

@kennerchick wrote:

My daughter's credit score sky rocketed 2 weeks ago, she's over 640!  Now she qualifies for both Cap One Platnium and Cap One QS1, which one is the better card?  She has a 1st Premiere and a QS1 already.

Thanks for the help.

If she has a QS1 already, why get another Cap One card?   Are you looking to combine them later?    

In terms of rewards, QS1 is a better choice.   Definitely anything your DD can do to get away from the FP card is a good step!

Are there any stores that she frequents?   There are some good store card options with 640 scores.   That may be an option.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

SunriseEarth wrote:

If she has a QS1 already, why get another Cap One card?   Are you looking to combine them later?    

In terms of rewards, QS1 is a better choice.   Definitely anything your DD can do to get away from the FP card is a good step!

Are there any stores that she frequents?   There are some good store card options with 640 scores.   That may be an option.  

I was told on this forum once the Cap One card hit the CR to get another Cap One card.  She's just stuck with which one to get lol

Yes she has stores, only problem is if she gets Victoria Secrets or Bath and Body Works, they will be used constantly and her husband will have a fit! LOL

She really needs a Babies R Us card, maybe she can be approved for one around the holidays?

Thanks

Starting all over again!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The QS1 definitely is the better card with 1.5% cash back, but does carry a $39 annual fee. If she isn't going to run at least $2600 through the card on an annual basis, the Platinum would be a better choice.

Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kennerchick wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

I was told on this forum once the Cap One card hit the CR to get another Cap One card.  She's just stuck with which one to get lol

Yes she has stores, only problem is if she gets Victoria Secrets or Bath and Body Works, they will be used constantly and her husband will have a fit! LOL

She really needs a Babies R Us card, maybe she can be approved for one around the holidays?

Thanks

LOL...Sounds like VS Angel Card could be too much of a good thing!   But if she shops there a lot, the points system is good.   They usually start with $250 CLs, but you can use the SCT to get them.   The R Us card could be good, too.   She could probably get the store card version now (MC versions of Synchrony cards usually need ~700 FICO).  But many people get store cards with Synchrony with similar scores to your DD....I got my cards with them with scores in the 620s.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both. I'll talk her into the R Us card for sure. Smiley Happy
Starting all over again!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kennerchick wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest the Platinum with no AF. After 6 months you can ask them to upgrade it to the QS card (not the QS1), then you can roll the QS1 into it and get rid of that AF as well.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.