Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which and whose cards to pay off first

tag
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

Which and whose cards to pay off first

I post in the Mortage section and I guess it was the wrong place.  Sorry new.

My husband and I pulled our EX score on here.  His is 560 and mine is 657.  I am really confused by this.  Last year the scores were 650 and 720.  I guess it wasn't FICO.  Even so I don't understand why mine would be so low.  One of the reasons it gives is my credit is only 6 years 9 months old.  Well I can't change that.  I however have never missed a payment on anything.  Have had 3 credit cards paid off several times, a car loan paid off, a current car loan with 1.5% interest paid more than minimum most months and one collections I have no idea where it came from.  It says if I pay off my cards my score will go to 657-720.  Makes zero sense why it would stay the same.

My husband has 2 cards and it says if we pay them off it can go up to 600 and if we keep it clean 620. (guess I am more of a risk with more credit even though I pay my bills on time)  His are less then mine total of abot 1,200 we could pay off by the beginning of next month.  Mine will take a little more time 3.5 months - 5.  Which should we pay off first.  I thought I would ask here to see what actual people have been through since the site seems to have just as good of a guess as me.  No stinking idea, haha. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: Which and whose cards to pay off first

The higher your score is, the more a (new) collection can impact your credit score. Have you looked at a copy of your CR to determine where the collection came from?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 2 of 3
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

Re: Which and whose cards to pay off first

Yea, it says it is from April of 2011.  I guess I will dispute it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.