Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I go with?

tag
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

Which card should I go with?

which should I do? 

Deposit $200 Extra in my Secured Discover? 

And have a $500 limit Discover

or

Deposit $200 for a Secured Capital One?

And have 3 CC's, Wells Fargo $300, Discover $300 and Cap One $200

I'm rebuilding and dont have too many baddies except a Verizon and a FPB for $450 that i'm trying PFD, (disputing a Senex wrongly reported). 

I was also recently added to SO's Amex and Barclays that are both 5k limits to help up my scores. I'm new to credit since my first account was in 2012, so the only 3 years of history arent in my favor. 

ETA: I also have a $250 LOFT card. but it hasnt reported yet.

Starting score May 2015 500's across the boards
Now - 610 EQ 598 TU 597 EX
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card should I go with?

Have you recently applied for an unsecured Cap One card?

FWIW, I don't recommend the AU route unless you simply cannot get your initial revolving account opened. You seem to be past that point.

Any derogs accounts or is it just a thin file?

Message 2 of 9
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

I applied almost 3 months ago to Cap One and got the secured offer, they gave me 90 days which is why I have to make a decision soon since the 90 days are almost up. 

I only have 4 inquiries and 2 are coming off my report still this summer. 

** And yes, thin file more than derogs. I never had too much credit open because I moved to the US 6 years ago. Got my first card which was a First Premier Bank in 2012 but went throught a bad divorce and had no money to pay bills. the balance is $450 and im trying to PDF, the only account I have in Collections is a Medical account that is wrongly reported since insurance paid all of my daughters medical bills. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katheryne88 wrote:

I applied almost 3 months ago to Cap One and got the secured offer, they gave me 90 days which is why I have to make a decision soon since the 90 days are almost up. 

I only have 4 inquiries and 2 are coming off my report still this summer. 

** And yes, thin file more than derogs. I never had too much credit open because I moved to the US 6 years ago. Got my first card which was a First Premier Bank in 2012 but went throught a bad divorce and had no money to pay bills. the balance is $450 and im trying to PDF, the only account I have in Collections is a Medical account that is wrongly reported since insurance paid all of my daughters medical bills. 

The CO account from FP is likely a huge drag on scores and is the biggest impediment to getting approved for unsecured cards. Get it settled and don't get hung up on trying to PFD it. FP is notorious for not doing PFD's.

At this point I would let the Cap One offer go, and use the money to settle the FP CO account. Once you have it reporting a zero balance, re-apply for an unsecured Cap One account.

Message 4 of 9
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

The FP isn't even the bigger one, that's only $450 and I'm looking to have that laid first because is small.

The Verizon one is $1500 and they're willing to work with me but I don't have all that money at once at all. I'm actually trying to rebuild to be able to finance my daughter's dental treatment since I tried CareCredit and was denied.

I was wondering if getting a CU personal loan to pay that off would be good, I probably won't qualify alone but I can get a co-signer.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katheryne88 wrote:
The FP isn't even the bigger one, that's only $450 and I'm looking to have that laid first because is small.

The Verizon one is $1500 and they're willing to work with me but I don't have all that money at once at all. I'm actually trying to rebuild to be able to finance my daughter's dental treatment since I tried CareCredit and was denied.

I was wondering if getting a CU personal loan to pay that off would be good, I probably won't qualify alone but I can get a co-signer.

Verizon is not a credit card account and will not go against your UTI. Paying that one will not get you any FICO points.

Not a fan of borrowing to pay off other debt.... Its the equivalent of trying to dig your way out of a hole.

Message 6 of 9
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

Absolutely agree with you on the debt to pay off debt.

So paying that Verizon account won't up my score?
But the FP will?

If yes.. I can pay the FP as soon as tomorrow and see what happens. I will continue to bug them to delete until they get tired of me.
I just need my score about 20pts higher so I can try again for the CareCredit.. But I'm thinking they're definitely looking at that Verizon account.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katheryne88 wrote:
Absolutely agree with you on the debt to pay off debt.

So paying that Verizon account won't up my score?
But the FP will?

If yes.. I can pay the FP as soon as tomorrow and see what happens. I will continue to bug them to delete until they get tired of me.
I just need my score about 20pts higher so I can try again for the CareCredit.. But I'm thinking they're definitely looking at that Verizon account.

No, they are much more interested in how you deal with revolving credit accounts, not utility accounts. They know that most of the time these big communication company bills are usually the result of often bogus ETFs and other such garbage. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would choose $500 discover.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.