Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which company owns my debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which company owns my debt?

Hey everybody, was hoping someone could help me figure this out. I've recently resolved to try and fix my horrible credit (8+ collections) and in doing so contacted a company called Allied Internation regarding my old account with Sprint which was closed and sent to them back in July. I tried sending them a PFD, which they only responded to with a MUCH higher settlement offer. I talked to them on the phone today and they said they aren't authorized to make any negotiations other than the one mentioned in the letter they sent me, because that amount was authorized by Sprint and they don't own the debt, they are only attempting to collect on Sprint's behalf.

Immediately afterward I called Sprint to attempt to negotiate with them. After being transferred 3 times I spoke with a supervisor who told me that they can accept a payment but can't negoatiate it because they don't own the account anymore, they sold it to the debt collector back in July.

So my question is: who here is lying? One of them is obviously giving me the run-around to make me think that they can't accept my offer. Is what Allied said even possible? Can the debt collector just "work" on the debt for the original creditor without owning the account? They are posting to my credit files as Allied International. Is this just another example of debt collectors being shady bastards? Thanks for the insight and help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Which company owns my debt?

Yes it it legal for a company to collect on behalf of someone else.

For example, I know that NCO Financial often collects on behalf of American Express. American Express owns the debt as it is their account, but NCO does the collection activities. If the debt is still with the OC, but services elsewhere, then you should not see two entries in your CR.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which company owns my debt?

So, have you pulled your reports from www.annualcreditreport.com? The answer may lie there.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.