Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit reporting service to use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit reporting service to use?

The question:  What service are people using to pull their credit reports and monitor their scores?  These boards are full of statements like "pulled my reports today..." or "just checked my scores".  myFICO offers that for $20 a pop, and $40 for both, which seems like it would be pretty steep to be doing on a regular basis.  Is there some other credit monitoring service that people are using to pull reports and/or scores at will?

The background: One the eve of my relocation from ND back to Texas, I was informed that because of a $5000 collection that was slapped on to my report recently, I am no longer qualified to receive a mortgage.  Bad stinking news to get while they're loading up the truck.  So now we will rent, rather than buy, and the game is on.

The tl;dr background:  About nine years ago my family moved in to a new house with my MIL.  We rented both our previous home as well as hers.  We found a tenant for ours that was a landlords dream.  We decided to give someone a break on the MIL's house, which proved to be a big mistake.  After failing to pay rent for two months she skipped out in the night, leaving piles of crap (literally, piles of dog s* in the garage) for us to clean up.  We borrowed some money and did a big fix-up on the house.  Rented it to a nice young couple.  Then they broke up.  Then they broke their lease.  Then our other tenant also moved out.  Then we couldn't find anyone to rent either place.  Then paying three mortgages started taking it's toll.  Then foreclosures, collections, charge-offs, the whole bit.  It was quite the disaster.

Now, for the last five years (or so) we have paid every bill on time, never exceeded our credit, made few applications for new credit, and have generally been very well-behaved financial citizens.  Indeed, it has taken a long time for the badness to fade away, although some old items have been allowed to linger since the dark times.  We've still been able to buy a couple of used cars and get a mortgage on a home in ND a couple of years ago.  We were also approved for a $225k mortgage prior to our relo to Texas.  Then we weren't.  A dark cloud has once again formed, for reasons as of yet unknown.  We have a couple of months of temp. housing, but that's not enough time to get our credit fixed, even if it turns out to be a mistake.  So now, efforts begin in earnest.  I've got plenty of motivation (read: rage and anger), so I look forward to doing everything I can to free my reports from all blemishes, but I want a cohesive strategy.  I've got plans for who to contact, how to approach them, expectations for what I might need to pay, and what I shouldn't, but what I need is a way to gauge my progress over time.  So, which credit reporting service do you use?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which credit reporting service to use?

Welcome to the forums.

While you wait for specific recommendations from others you might check out the CMS Guide here onsite.

Message 2 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

For FICO score monitoring.  ScoreWatch

Cheap all 3 CRA monitoring and playing the FICO score Game:TrueCredit (I use it now)

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 6
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

How is Truecredit different from CreditKarma? I am just asking. I am looking for credit monitoring too.
EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 4 of 6
FrugalRican
Blogger

I use CreditKarma with the unfortunate caveat that TransUnion lags ridiculously on anything I need to look at. But it's free. But the scores matter as much as an umbrella in an F-5 tornado. So it has all of that going for it.

I try to pull a free CR every 4 months from one of the bureaus. If not, I'll pony up a few bucks and do it through Equifax. I don't pull every few weeks like a few people do but I know a ton of people also use CMS' through their banks/credit unions/credit card even if there is a subscription service and fee attached to it.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I use scorewatch and the quarterly monitoring service on this site. (like the real numbers). Use CK for dailies.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.