cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is more important when rebuilding

tag
skennedy4295

Which is more important when rebuilding

I'm currently working on rebuilding my credit I'm basically in the mid 5's on all three credit reporting agency's. I have had one secured capital one credit card with a limit of $300. I also have a car loan from VW that I make regular payments on $340 per month. Despite making payments for one year with the auto loan and almost three with the credit card I'm not getting approved for much. I'm considering adding another one or two secured cards in addition. Which is more important getting an additional secured card with a higher limit or two addition secured cards with lower secured amounts. Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bobbycredit
Valued Member

Re: Which is more important when rebuilding

If you're making payments on your auto loan and keeping your current capital one util at 10% or lower, your score should improve. Are you paying it off before the statement date every month? I wouldn't bother with another secured card. Once you get 'real' cards, you'll kind of wish the secured card wasn't in your portfolio. So you don't want a bunch of them.

Message 2 of 3
skennedy4295

Re: Which is more important when rebuilding

I think I was letting too much of a balance carry over. I'm getting that corrected now though. I wasn't sure if I needed more secured cards but I see what you mean.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.