Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the better route?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is the better route?

I am very new to the forum so bear with me if this is a dumb question.  I am trying to raise my scores to get a mortgage so that my wife and I can get out of the shoe box we are living in.  I have obviously made poor decisions with my credit in the past (posting in rebuilding your credit forum)  but I have been working on it.  First I got added as an authorized user on a credit card with an $8K limit that has a long history of good payment and a low balance.  Then I got a cap one credit $500 limit (minimal balance).  I also got an auto loan recently.  I have 3 ($1800 total) collections left on my credit and all three started reporting in the last 12 months.  Recently the card that I am an authorized user on has shot up to a balance of $7700 (98% utilization).  So my question is what will make my score go up the fastest?  Taking myself off a an authorized user, pay the 3 collections or help to pay down the balance on the card that I am an authorized user on?  Any feedback good, bad, or otherwise is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which is the better route?

Welcome to the forums. Having the cardholder pay off their card would be great, as removing yourself if a catch 22. You don't want to appear maxed out, as you do now because of the 98% UTIL, but removing yourself decreases your credit from almost nine grand to 500 bucks.

However, attmpting to get rid of those collections should indeed be a priority. Look around in the Rebuilding forum for advice on PFDs. Assuming that you are able to pay them of course.

I wouldn't go applying for anything new if your goal is to get a mortgage in the near future.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which is the better route?

^^agree^^. PFD is the way to go. Mortgage Lenders do not like to see unpaid accounts of any kind. Best to get rid of them as soon as possible. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.