cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is worse: High utilization vs age of account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is worse: High utilization vs age of account?

I'm an AU user on my mom's credit card (limit of $5400). While it's been open since 2003 (yay!) with no missed payments, it's always at a 99% utilization rate (boo). Since it's my only card at the moment, this puts me at 99% for all of my revolving credit. I did sign up for a new credit card recently, but it's only a $500 limit... so I'll still have a high utilization rate.

I'm trying to decide if this is hurting me now more than helping me. What should I do?

1. Remove myself as an AU because of the utilization

2. Stay as an AU because of the age of the account

3. Remove myself but add myself back later whenever the card is finally paid down. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Which is worse: High utilization vs age of account?

I've been wondering about that also... DF has a Cap1 card that I believe has a pretty decent CL on it and is at least 7+ years old.  I've been tempted to ask him to add me as an AU for the increase in AAoA since mine is probably going to plummet this year when several 7 year old baddies drop off and 3 new accounts begin reporting, but I worry about whether his high utilization on the card would outweigh the good it would do.

I'm also tempted to add him as an AU to my Southwest card once it arrives to help his utilization, but I don't know if the drop in AAoA will outweigh the benefit of the util decrease.

I look forward to seeing what experienced people have to say here hehe

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one question I can't answer is if dropping an account also removes the credit history (I would think not).   You will take a smaller hit closing a line of credit then having such a high util rate.    I got well over a 100 point bump lowering my util rate from 98% to 9%.    But...they added 1.5% to my loan because of a short history on major credit cards (2 years).  

Credit utilization is a big component of your rating, especially since you are near 100%, that is defined as an account in jeopardy of default.  If you keep it, get it down and also...it is based only on the prior month balances so a quick reduction really makes a difference (you will see a bounce typically within 1-5 days of statement date closing).

From what people tell me on here, all credit cards should be at zero with one carrying a utilization rate of below 10%.

Message 3 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Use fico estimator to compare
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Your utilization far outweights (percentagewise) your AAoA.  Dh is down to only 1 year of AAoA due to all the new accounts this year - and he has gone from High 500's to over 700 across the board in 10 months.

I am CERTAIN that AU account is killing your score.  CERTAIN.

Length of credit is 15% of your score and amounts owed is 30%.  Twice the impact.  Just dispute it and they will remove it from your reports.  Calling the CCC to remove it will take forever, and okay to dispute as "not mine" because it really isn't yours.  If it hurts your score too much, then just have it added back on by having the card owner report you back as an AU.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Length of credit is only 15%, and AAoA is only a part of that.  Revolving util is the major component of a 30% scoring category.

Being maxed in revolving util is a biggie.  FICO recently published a chart showing the usual impact of certain items, and I recall that being maxed or near maxed in % util was way up there in point impact.  Cant recall the actual number, but I think it was in the upper two digits.

Aside from the actual scoring impacts, having the credit history of another factored into your score kinda makes it impossible for a creditor to then use your score as an assessment of your own personal risk of delinquency.

I would ditch the AU status.

Message 6 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an AU user on my mom's credit card (limit of $5400). While it's been open since 2003 (yay!) with no missed payments, it's always at a 99% utilization rate (boo). Since it's my only card at the moment, this puts me at 99% for all of my revolving credit. I did sign up for a new credit card recently, but it's only a $500 limit... so I'll still have a high utilization rate.

I'm trying to decide if this is hurting me now more than helping me. What should I do?

1. Remove myself as an AU because of the utilization

2. Stay as an AU because of the age of the account

3. Remove myself but add myself back later whenever the card is finally paid down. 

Wow.. yeah. This isn't even a question at all. Remove your AU status from that card. Even if your only credit card has a 6 month AAoA, you are better off removing that account.. esp with it being that high..

If it was like, carrying a 3000 balance of 5400? I wouldn't feel quite as confident, but if you are over 90 percent? Oh yeah.. that is killing your score, no doubt about it.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a ton for all of the advice!

I've removed myself from the card. How long before this change shows up on my credit report? 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.