New Visitor
Diesi

Which letter to send?

I discovered that I had a collections account bought from Sprint. I haven't had sprint. When I send a letter to verify the debt, the collector wrote back saying it had been paid. So I contacted Sprint, who states I still owe a balance on that account (despite a collections agency having bought it). I want to send a letter to verify the debt with Sprint. Would I use the standard debt verification letter or is there another type of letter for this situation?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Which letter to send?

You can't use a DV on Sprint because they are an OC. There is a letter seldom mentioned in here called an OC letter which asks for info from the OC. If I had that, I would jsut call and ask for the last 3-4 statements showing that I owed. If their statements show an account that isn't yours, then call the police and have a report filed for ID theft. That'll get them to go away.

New Visitor
Diesi

Re: Which letter to send?

All the sample OC letters I have pulled up, have a paragraph stating that the debt had been verified by the credit bureaus. Do I need to file a dispute first? Or can I send an OC letter without that phrasing in it? I have asked Sprint to send me a bill, however, they seem rather unwilling to do so.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+