cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which option should I choose to gain the most points??

tag
tipofthespork
Contributor

Which option should I choose to gain the most points??

Ok I wrote about this in another section (Understanding Credit), but it also applies to rebuilding so I'd like to post it here for some advice. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted here mods.

Ok, I've got about 1800 dollars to put on my CC's. I've got 7 CC's, 5 carrying a balance. Overall UTI is extremely high (above 80%). I've figured I have 2 options. I will list them below in detail. Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get a home loan in Septemer/October and need the points to qualify for a VA mortgage.

Here is a list of my CC's

Cap 1- Balance- $288. Limit- $300. UTI 96%

Cap 1- Balance- $458. Limit- $500. UTI 92%

HSBC- Balance- $293. Limit- $300. UTI 98%

Military Star- Balance- $775. Limit- $840. UTI 92%

Military TIHT- Balance- $2681. Limit- $3150. UTI 85%

JC Penny- Balance- $0. Limit $200. UTI 0%

Walamrt- Balance- $0. Limit $100. UTI 0%

First Premier Bank (Charge OFF 7/2007)- Balance- $411. Limit $250. UTI 164%

Ideally I want to settle with FPB so that will not be a factor in UTI. the below options aren't counting FPB.

Ok I can do one of 2 things.

option 1.) Pay off both Cap 1 cards, HSBC card, and Military Star card. This would give me 6 card with a $0 balance, one card at 85% UTI. Overall UTI would be 49.7%.

option 2.) Pay down all cards to 49% UTI (all would still have a balance).

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Starting Score: 574(may 2012)
Current Score: 574
Goal Score: 640 (to start)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Which option should I choose to gain the most points??

In would pay off the following and not use them while you work on others: both cap1's, hsbc, and military star. I would then focus on tith. (option 1). From what I've read it's better to have cards with zero balance than have all of them with high util. Also, this would decrease the total number of min payments you have to make and you can roll those min payments into paying last one off (debt snowball method)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 2 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

In my opinion I vote on option 1....

Fico scores take into consideration total util on each individual card as well as the total util on all cards.

If you pay off 6 cards in full leaving a 0 balance and only having 1 card with a balance will give you a better score in my opinion. The goal would be to also lower that last card to ultimately be under 9% util.

The charge off is not helping and I would pay this off as soon as you could also.

Possibly instead of paying off the $458 dollar Cap One card pay off the charge off 1st. Use $411 to pay off charge off and put the left over $47 on top of your minimum payment to Cap One.

Also make sure you pay all minimum payments on any card you are not paying off. If you miss the minimum payment due this will cause you another set back.

Edited to fix bad typing with numbers... 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

what are the interest rates of the cards you are carrying balances? I would worry about paying the highest rates off first, the FICO score issues will take care of itself in due time.

Message 4 of 6
tipofthespork
Contributor

Thanks y'all. Looks like I'll go with option 1. I'm gonna try and squeeze out a couple hundred extra and get FPB to settle.

The debt is out of SOL and 2 years from crtp do maybe they will be open to 40% or less???

Message 5 of 6
tipofthespork
Contributor

Thanks jetsfan.

I understand the idea of paying higher interest first, but for the short time I'm focused on fico points. As I stated in the beginning I'm trying to buy a home.

It actually works out to where the only card I will have a balance on will be the lowest APR so that's good too.

Looks like I CAN have my cake and eat it too!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.