Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which should I do first DV or PFD?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which should I do first DV or PFD?

For most they are.  I'm just having a hard time understanding on the CR which dates I'm supposed to use to determine the SOL.  My biggest 2 amounts for around $5k but are past the SOL because those were included in the BK in 05.  They just reposted those.  It sounds like the SOL won't restart after they get posted again.  Is that true?  Do you think a CA will sue for an amount under $200?  Do you think I should just PIF and ask for PFD on most of them?

Message 11 of 16
britishbooklady
Regular Contributor

Re: Which should I do first DV or PFD?

@Anonymous wrote:

For most they are.  I'm just having a hard time understanding on the CR which dates I'm supposed to use to determine the SOL.  My biggest 2 amounts for around $5k but are past the SOL because those were included in the BK in 05.  They just reposted those.  It sounds like the SOL won't restart after they get posted again.  Is that true?  Do you think a CA will sue for an amount under $200?  Do you think I should just PIF and ask for PFD on most of them?

I know what you mean...not all of the CRs report the DOFD in the same place (or even at all in some cases). Someone had posted a really good explanation for this recently...of course, I can't find it now to save my life. Hopefully that person (or someone just as knowledgeable) will read this and post it again. In the meantime, I can tell you this much: If the TL in question has a statement like "This account is scheduled to continue on record until XXX XXXX" or "Estimated date that this item will be removed: XX/XXXX" then subtract 7 to 7.5 years from that date and that should give you an idea of the actual DOFD. Equifax CRs actually have a box for "Date of First Delinquency" at the bottom of their TLs.

And, no, SOL will not restart just because a CA recently posted something to your CR.

No one really knows what a CA will sue over...if the debt is within SOL, then of course that's something to be concerned about.

If you PIF first, instead of offering the PFD (to the CA, of course), then you'll need to send a GW letter after the fact. This may or may not yield good results, depending on who's reading the letters. Most CAs don't care enough to even consider a GW letter...they've already got what they wanted ($). You know what I mean?

So, my suggestion to you is to just take it one TL at a time. You've got a lot of stuff to work through and, honestly, it's going to take some time. There are a lot of great, knowledgeable people here on the FICO forums who have posted a wealth of information over the years. Do a search for each CA, one by one, and see how other people have handled them.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EX: 661, EQ: 662, TU: 694 [Lender Pull 12/30/2010]
Current Score: EX: 665, EQ: 680, TU: 710
Goal Score: EX: 750+, EQ: 750+, TU: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

s whRe: Which should I do first DV or PFD?

I guess what I meant to say that I would be willing to PIF for deletion.  I really meant to ask do DV or PFD, not which to do first thinking I'd do the other second.  Sorry about that!

Also, can I just DV ALL my CAs even the medical or should I do the Pre-HIPPA letters for medicals instead?

Message 13 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: s whRe: Which should I do first DV or PFD?

There is no requirement for the HIPAA process at all. 

You can send every CA a DV.  Just make sure you can PIF if they validate, or the debt is outside suing SOL.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I have been going in circles in my brain trying to figure out the best/easiest route.  My medical collections are not big and if worse came to worse and I had to pay, I could. 

So if they do come back and validate, can I ask for PFD?

I've got all my DVs printed and ready to go.  Just wasn't comfortable about the medical DVs.

Message 15 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, if they validate, ask for a PFD.

If the OC still owns th account, you can ask them if you pay them directly will they pull the account back from the CA.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.