cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which subprime credit card should I pay off first and cancel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which subprime credit card should I pay off first and cancel?

Hello. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit for the past year and a half. I have made some improvement, as my credit scores were formerly in the low 500s and now they are in the low 600s. I got approved and received a Capital One credit card with a $500 CL (was declined in the past). I have four other credit cards open and active: Indigo Mastercard (formerly Rewards 660; $350 CL), First National Credit Card ($250 CL), First Premier ($300CL), and Credit One ($300CL). I have only been paying the minimums on all of them, because I work part-time and the rest of my income goes towards settling my other larger debts. Most of the balances are lower than $200, and I haven't used any of them recently. As you can imagine, the APRS are ridiculously high on all of them, but the highest is First Premier and Indigo. Indigo also charges a $10 "monthly participation" fee, which annoys me for simply having the card. I would love to pay off and get rid of one of these cards in the next week. I just cannot decide which one to get rid of?

Also, after deciding which of those cards will go, should I do a balance transfer onto the new Capital One card? I don't have all the details on the balance transfer yet, but I'm looking into it. I would like to make the Capital One card my main card, as it seems to have a better reputation and lower fees than the other four.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Re: Which subprime credit card should I pay off first and cancel?

I would pay off Indigo and First Premier first. Anything with a monthly fee should go, IMO. And a $10 monthly fee is ridiculous. After that pay them down in order of the highest APR.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

To clarify, don't close them all. That could/would hurt your score. But if the Indigo and FP aren't significantly older than your other accounts, I'd close them to free up the money from the monthly fees. Pay the others down to zero and then use them for a small purchase every couple of months, paying in full each time. Once you have your zero balance the APR doesn't matter, just the annual fee.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Listing the balances on each card might help others when chiming in with their suggestions. 

When closing accounts there are a few things to keep in mind.  First is that closing the account(s) will NOT reduce your average age of accounts and that account will continue to report for 10+ years from the date of closing. 

If you close an account while carrying a balance, that account will continue to be counted in your utilization (both the balance and the limit).  If you close an account with a zero balance you lose that account's credit limit and based on what balances you carry on your remaining accounts this could really mess with your utilization.  Closing Indigo and First Premier (while at first glance may be the best choices for closing based on the fees, they are also your cards with the higher limits).  Of the cards you listed your credit limits equal $1700.  Closing Indigo and First Premier with zero balances brings that down to $1050.  While that's not e big drop, depending on what your other balances are, it could wreak havoc on your util.  If all accounts were at zero I'd definitely suggest closing the accounts with the the most fees and highest apr's.  If not at zero, just watch your util.  If possible, get all your accounts to zero THEN close them.  Much easier to watch and manage your util then. 

As for your BT question, again, depends on what your other balances are.  $500 is a fairly lower limit and transfering balances can put this card in the high util category very quickly. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'm going to attack the Indigo card first and pay that one off. They also do not ever do CL increases, so it's a fairly useless card to me. I won't close it though, until it is at a zero balance.

Message 5 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I had a FP card since 2007 and my CLI was 400 and never was higher.  This included 7.00 monthly fee.  I maxed that card out the day I got it and there it stayed until May of this year when I paid it off to help my score.

Now FP is offering me new FP cards.  I finally got a decent VISA from CU and called FP to close the account.  The rep went to do that on the computer and said that FP is willing to give me 45.00 credit on my card to NOT close the account.  This only took 2-3 months of having the balance at zero to go from their Poop List to their "your credit is amazing" list.  Maybe if you can get this one paid off, and keep it paid off a few months, they will do the same thing for you - pay you to not close it.

I'm going to go ahead and close it anyway next month.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would pay off them in order of  paying off the one the saves me the most money first.  In regards to balance transfers call Cap 1  and ask them.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the additional info on FP. I will hold on to that card for a bit, and see how I can pay it off, yet keep it open.

Message 8 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

One thing I'd like to mention is that, even tho they have a fee, for now, I'd keep the Credit One.

I had this card & for the first couple years, call them every 6 mos & ask for a CLI.  I got $100 every time & they never did a hard inquiry.  Ask them to be sure, as their policies might have changed, but I've never seen any post of them doing a hard.  In a few years you'll have a card with a 1k limit.

Whatever cards you have that WON'T give you increases & want to charge you fees, I'd close them.  I usually don't suggest closing any cards, but when a fee is attached, the rules change.

Just my .02

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks BungalowMo. Funny you mention it, just yesterday I applied and got a credit line increase of $100 on my Credit One. I never requested it before and it will help me in the long run.  I've already decided to keep the Credit One for sure. I really need to can the Indigo card. To pay a monthly fee just to possess a card that will never ever give a CLI is ridiculous. I think that's really hitting home for me. So definitely agree with you there!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.