cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which will increase my score more in the short term?! Trying to apply for Mortgage

tag
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

Which will increase my score more in the short term?! Trying to apply for Mortgage

Hi! I am trying to repair my credit report so that I can apply for a mortgage with my husband. If I can't make any headway with cleaning up my report in the next 3 months he will have to apply alone and for a lower loan amount.

Due to being on unpaid maternity leave two years in a row a couple of my credit cards fell behind and are now charged off. My question is should I pay down the utilization of my current cards first or settle the charge off's (2 have been sent to collections)?

I appreciate any advice!

Start (9/15/2017): EQ:519/TU:576/EX:529
(7/11/2019):EQ:691/TU:714/EX:680
GOAL: 700+ x3
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which will increase my score more in the short term?! Trying to apply for Mortgage

It's tough to say without knowing how the tradelines are reporting as well as what your current mortgage FICOs are, and also what each and every open credit card reports in terms of current balance and credit card limit, as well as the number of inquiries you have less than a year old and what their dates are.

Specific points:

• A collection of $500 scores the same as a paid collection.  If you want to gain points, you can offer a PFD (pay for delete) to get the collection deleted upon payment -- get this promise in writing by mail.  Note that if you have 7 collections and pay off 5 to get deleted, 2 collections could still score the same as 7 depending on other factors.
  • Chargeoffs showing a balance are hurting a lot because they're scored like overlimit credit cards as their balance is part of your credit card utilization.  So paying these down MIGHT have a score increase, depending on your other credit card balances and limits.

Without actual data here, nobody can give you any accurate advice.

Message 2 of 14
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

Re: Which will increase my score more in the short term?! Trying to apply for Mortgage

@Anonymous wrote:

It's tough to say without knowing how the tradelines are reporting as well as what your current mortgage FICOs are, and also what each and every open credit card reports in terms of current balance and credit card limit, as well as the number of inquiries you have less than a year old and what their dates are.

Specific points:

• A collection of $500 scores the same as a paid collection.  If you want to gain points, you can offer a PFD (pay for delete) to get the collection deleted upon payment -- get this promise in writing by mail.  Note that if you have 7 collections and pay off 5 to get deleted, 2 collections could still score the same as 7 depending on other factors.
  • Chargeoffs showing a balance are hurting a lot because they're scored like overlimit credit cards as their balance is part of your credit card utilization.  So paying these down MIGHT have a score increase, depending on your other credit card balances and limits.

@Anonymous thank you for your feedback. Below is the information to give you a better picture of where I am at:

3 Collection Accounts:

• T-MOBILE $425
  • MIDLAND FUNDING - COMENITY BANK ( J.CREW, VS) Amounts below

4 Charge Off's 

• AMEX (Still reporting balance) $1,352 
  • COMENITY BANK (Collections $743)
  • COMENITY BANK (Collections $1,399)
  • MACY'S (Still reporting balance) PIF payment scheduled $476

Current Open Cards

• Cap1 Secured $750 limit | $640 balance
  • Discover $650 limit | $380 balance
  • Cap1 Journey $3,000 limit | $2500 balance

Mortgage Lending Scores

TU: 524  EQ:491  EX:509

6 inquires from Sep and Dec of 2017 from 2 pulls from mortgage lenders

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and Welcome.

If you have any collections I would suggest PFD on those. For the collections call them to see if you are able to settle them. I was ble to settle 2 for less than original amount and my credit improved because they stopped reporting it as a CO. Some mortgage lenders may make you pay those before you can get approved. There are times where they might settle for WAY less than your balance. 

Best of luck!

Message 4 of 14
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and Welcome.

If you have any collections I would suggest PFD on those. For the collections call them to see if you are able to settle them. I was ble to settle 2 for less than original amount and my credit improved because they stopped reporting it as a CO. Some mortgage lenders may make you pay those before you can get approved. There are times where they might settle for WAY less than your balance. 

Best of luck!

Hi and thanks for the feedback! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Desi_Hybrid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Specific points:

@Anonymous thank you for your feedback. Below is the information to give you a better picture of where I am at:

3 Collection Accounts:

• T-MOBILE $425

4 Charge Off's 

Current Open Cards

Mortgage Lending Scores

THAT is what I call a perfect submittal, thanks!

First of all, T-Mobile is very good about deleting.  Is that currently managed by ERC or another CA?  Call T-Mobile, ask them to recall the debt and pay it in full.  Easy peasy.  I had this same collection on my reports in February and it was gone by March doing this.

Amex wants to get paid and if you ever want to get back in with them, you want to pay them.  I'd suggest paying off any chargeoffs with a balance if it's held with the OC as those numbers hurt your score.

Your credit card utilization is horrible, I am sorry to say.

Capital One is 85.3% which is near-derogatory (over 68%)

Discover is poor at 58.5% (over 48%)

Capital One Journey is 83.3% which is near-derogatory (over 68%)

Aggregate utilization is over 100% because the chargeoffs are calculated in your credit card utilization -- that could hurt for 40-90 points depending on a lot of factors.

Your first and most important thing to do is get your open cards to AZEO (see my 11 rules signature link).  That means Capital One and Discover report $0 (you can use the card but pay to $0 before the statement date!) and the Journey card should report a balance between $3 and $260 every month.  You can use this card for more but pay it below $267 before statement cut (but not zero). This will have an immediate effect on your mortgage scores and FICO8 scores.  Immediate.  Mortgage FICO is greatly affected by high utilization.

Step two should be to pay off your collections with a PFD, or request the OC claw back the collection so you can pay them directly.  This will have a small effect on your scores because of the existing charge-offs.

Step three is paying off all chargeoffs reporting a balance with the OC -- pay them to $0 so your credit card utilization isn't crushed.

I can't guarantee anything but I bet you see a 40-60 point increase by doing these things, but your mileage may vary.

Message 6 of 14
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

First of all, T-Mobile is very good about deleting.  Is that currently managed by ERC or another CA?  Call T-Mobile, ask them to recall the debt and pay it in full.  Easy peasy.  I had this same collection on my reports in February and it was gone by March doing this.

Amex wants to get paid and if you ever want to get back in with them, you want to pay them.  I'd suggest paying off any chargeoffs with a balance if it's held with the OC as those numbers hurt your score.

Aggregate utilization is over 100% because the chargeoffs are calculated in your credit card utilization -- that could hurt for 40-90 points depending on a lot of factors.

Your first and most important thing to do is get your open cards to AZEO (see my 11 rules signature link).  That means Capital One and Discover report $0 (you can use the card but pay to $0 before the statement date!) and the Journey card should report a balance between $3 and $260 every month.  You can use this card for more but pay it below $267 before statement cut (but not zero). This will have an immediate effect on your mortgage scores and FICO8 scores.  Immediate.  Mortgage FICO is greatly affected by high utilization.

Step two should be to pay off your collections with a PFD, or request the OC claw back the collection so you can pay them directly.  This will have a small effect on your scores because of the existing charge-offs.

Step three is paying off all chargeoffs reporting a balance with the OC -- pay them to $0 so your credit card utilization isn't crushed.

I can't guarantee anything but I bet you see a 40-60 point increase by doing these things, but your mileage may vary.

Thank you so much for honest and concise feedback! Now I have a gameplan...I'll keep you updated!

Message 7 of 14
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

The T-Mobile collection is with Convergent Outsourcing 

Message 8 of 14
Desi_Hybrid
Established Member

@Anonymouswrote:

@Desi_Hybrid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Specific points:

3 Collection Accounts:

• T-MOBILE $425

4 Charge Off's 

Current Open Cards

Mortgage Lending Scores

I just want to update you on my progress since I last posted:

3 Collection Accounts:

• T-MOBILE $425 -  Settled for half and deleted

4 Charge Off's 

• AMEX (Still reporting balance) $1,352 Settled
  • COMENITY BANK (Collections $743) Settled
  • COMENITY BANK (Collections $1,399) Settled
  • MACY'S (Still reporting balance) PIF 

Current Open Cards

• Cap1 Secured $750 limit | $640 balance PIF
  • Discover $650 limit | $380 balance PIF
  • Cap1 Journey $3,000 limit | $2500 balance - Paying Down Current balance $1425

Mortgage Lending Scores

600       576         578

Hopefully, once I pay down my last credit card that will increase some more, but I am really happy with my progress!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great work so far Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.