cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Are These People?

tag
mshoble

Who Are These People?

I keep getting calls at my job and family members about a possible debt. They left a number a reference number? 1855 329 2739 when I looked them I couldn't verify or find anything about them. They say they are KTM Associates and supposedly they're collecting on an old debt from HSBC bestbuy. They're not listed on my credit file as a collection agency or under accounts. I requested a debt validation letter and they said they will send it via email. I requested it to my mailing address. And they're threatneing with a litigation or a lawsuit. Who are these guys and what can I do to make them stop calling? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who Are These People?

Well, sounds like you have yourself a "Bottom Feeder".  They are required by law to send you a dunning notice within 5 days of first contact.  By them refusing to send this by USPS, it's throwing up a HUGE RED FLAG!

Do you know any specifics about the debt?  Age?   Did you even have one?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
mshoble

They're claiming I owe $3k on a best buy hsbc account that I opened in 2007. There's no negative indicator or any collection efforts listed on my report. The account was charged off in 2011 for 1300. But they are reluctant to send anything in the mail
Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I would send in a proper DV in the mail.  They will probably throw it in the trash, but there will be a paper trail.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They dont have the luxury of reluctance.

They have a statutory requirement to send a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5 business days after initial communication with the consumer. FDCPA 809(a).

You do not need to wait for their dunning notice to send them a DV.

That will invoke an automatice cease collection bar on them until such time as they have provided the requested debt validation.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.