cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who can report a charge off on credit report?

tag
Msflores408
Valued Member

Who can report a charge off on credit report?

HSBC sold account to Cavalry who sold it off to TCI.

Cavalry is reporting on 2 CRA's and HSBC on 1. I know the OC can report but shouldn't TCI be reporting this account and not Cavalry? When I contact Cavalry they just refer me to TCI for payment. Cavalry refuses to discuss any account details like DOFD and dates account bought/sold.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Who can report a charge off on credit report?

I presume that your question is who can report a collection.

The fact that it was charged-off is irrelevant to reporing by the debt collectors.

Debt collector 2 can choose whether or not to report their collection.

Regardless of whether debt collector 2 reports, if debt collector 1 has sold the debt, they no longer have collection authority, and are requried per CRA policy to promplty delete their reported collection.

Send a disptue to the CRA along with documentation that they no longer have collection authority.

If they have already reported sold, $0 balance, that should be adequate documenttion of their sale.

Message 2 of 3
Msflores408
Valued Member

Re: Who can report a charge off on credit report?

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you. 

I filed led a complaint with the BBB regarding this issue and Cavalry replied that they have reported everything accurately and have mailed me debt validation which they haven't. My response was that I did not accept their response to the complaint because I do not feel they should be reporting on my credit report. 

Im going to mail the CRA's a copy of their response where they state they sold my account and hopefully that takes care of that. Hopefully if they delete the TL then I can pay the OC directly. Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.