Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who to pay for debt collection for traffic tickets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who to pay for debt collection for traffic tickets

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure how to hande this debt as my main concern is not having another collection entry on my credit report.  I've recently found out I owe back parking tickets in a state I no longer live in.  I received a collections letter from a company the state hired to retrieve the money for the parking tickets from 2010.  I am fine paying the debt, however my concern is who I should pay (I can pay either the state directly or the collection company).

The collection company has not yet reported the debt on my credit report.  If I pay the state directly, will the collection company still be able to report the debt on my report?  Should I send a pay for delete letter to the debt collector in attempts to keep it off my credit record?  I am concerned if I even contact the debt collection company they will then immediately mark it on my credit report as a collection.

Any help on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who to pay for debt collection for traffic tickets

Contact the original creditor(State) and ask/request that they recall the debt from the collector. Thus the collection agency will no longer have collection authority. Then pay the state.

Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree. I think that would be the way to go. Or at least contact them and tell them you want to pay it all. Anything to keep it from hitting your reports.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@zumroff wrote:

Contact the original creditor(State) and ask/request that they recall the debt from the collector. Thus the collection agency will no longer have collection authority. Then pay the state.

Agreed, I have done this - it works.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Contact the CRA and request deletion of the collections.

Under the recent consent agreement between the CRAs and the New York State Office of the AG, the CRAs have consented to remove collections that are based on non-credit obligations, including parking tickets.  I would invoke the terms of that agreement as basis for removal of the collections.

You dont need a PFD or termiantion of the collection authority to get them removed.

Message 5 of 6
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

In california parking tickets appear on our DMV registration fees I just paid one when doing my registration. Can you call that states dmv to pa
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.