cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who to pay when an account is in collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who to pay when an account is in collections?

Hey peeps,

I have a collection account on my CR that needs to come off before I apply for anymore credit cards.

Its only $75 that I owed sprint for silly dispute reasons over services not recieved, blah blah blah.

So I lost that battle and need to pay BUT, that account is in collections and I owe Harvard Collections agency.

I don't want to pay a collection agency so I called Sprint, and they said I can pay them but she sounded like she had no idea what she was doing.

So shall I just pay Harvard or should I pay Sprint?

Also when If I do pay Harvard, do I just throw them my credit card info or is that a big no no? Seeing as they probably have no integrity Im not sure I trust them with my info.

And if i pay Sprint will it be removed from my CR even though Harvard is listed as the company I owe?

Thanks for any replies.

Happy Friday.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Who to pay when an account is in collections?

Only pay Sprint if they recall debt from Harvard and Harvard is removed from credit. If Sprint refuses, send Harvard a pfd letter. And only pay with a written agreement to delete.
Message 2 of 7
growing123
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey peeps,

I have a collection account on my CR that needs to come off before I apply for anymore credit cards.

Its only $75 that I owed sprint for silly dispute reasons over services not recieved, blah blah blah.

So I lost that battle and need to pay BUT, that account is in collections and I owe Harvard Collections agency.

I don't want to pay a collection agency so I called Sprint, and they said I can pay them but she sounded like she had no idea what she was doing.

So shall I just pay Harvard or should I pay Sprint?

Also when If I do pay Harvard, do I just throw them my credit card info or is that a big no no? Seeing as they probably have no integrity Im not sure I trust them with my info.

And if i pay Sprint will it be removed from my CR even though Harvard is listed as the company I owe?

Thanks for any replies.

Happy Friday.

I would first confirm who owns the debt.  (you admit the debt is yours so no need to DV)  I would call Sprint and find out if they SOLD the debt, or did they only ASSIGN the debt to the CA?  If they only assigned the account to the CA, then ask if they'll pull it back.  Confirm it's been pulled back and then pay Sprint.

If Sprint sold the debt, then you have no choice but to pay the CA.  Try for a PFD, if not, pay and then GW.

As far as giving them a cc, I don't see any harm.  That's better than giving them you debit card for sure. 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies!

So I ended up talking to Sprint via Chat Applet.

They confirmed it was just assigned to Harvard. She said I can pay either Sprint or Harvard.  If payment is made to Sprint then they would notify Harvard

automatically within 24-48hrs to get the collection taken off my credit report.

They gave me thier number so I could also call, which i will do on Monday as Harvard is closed now..  Hopefully Harvard doesnt take 2 years to remove it...

Thanks for the advice.

I'll up date if things go bad or if it gets settled properly as assured by Sprint.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your success. If they don't remove it, I say send a DV, they won't be able to verify because they won't own the debt anymore!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 5 of 7
dursty87
Established Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

Congrats on your success. If they don't remove it, I say send a DV, they won't be able to verify because they won't own the debt anymore!

+1.  And I would file a BBB complaint if they don't follow through.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I will take that advice and run with it!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.