Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who too talk to?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who too talk to?

My firstCC was a maurices cc, and I think it only had a 100 dollar limit on it. Well when I started msssing up with credit (at 19 yrs old only a year later) I paid off the account and closed it. I didn't know at the time closing an account could hurt your credit score.

So.....I called the maurice/msbn(?) and asked if they could take that off for me, and they said I had to call the credit companies.. So i first tired to call transunion, and they said to call the cc holder (Maurices).

So is this account able to be taken off? and how? or is it not even a big deal and I should just leave it alone and it will fall off later. I believe I closed it in april of 2006. One late payment of 30 days.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who too talk to?

@Anonymous wrote:

My firstCC was a maurices cc, and I think it only had a 100 dollar limit on it. Well when I started msssing up with credit (at 19 yrs old only a year later) I paid off the account and closed it. I didn't know at the time closing an account could hurt your credit score.

So.....I called the maurice/msbn(?) and asked if they could take that off for me, and they said I had to call the credit companies.. So i first tired to call transunion, and they said to call the cc holder (Maurices).

So is this account able to be taken off? and how? or is it not even a big deal and I should just leave it alone and it will fall off later. I believe I closed it in april of 2006. One late payment of 30 days.

Just leave it alone. Even though it is closed it will still help with your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) until it drops off in 4/2016.

7/09 (myfico)
TU-742
EQ-779

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic"

Message 2 of 5
hisfrogness
Established Member

Yeah, length of credit history factors in to your score so removing it could actually lower your score.

If you're still interested in getting it removed check the  Frequently Requested Threads for GW. Your only recourse is to send them a good will letter.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll just let it be Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

All that is hurting you now is the 30-day late, which was probably back in 2005, and is thus now approx four years old. That is now having minimal impact on your score (less than 10 pts).

The CCC gave you stupid advice by telling you to contact the CRAs to request removal.  They were just ignorantly passing the buck to get rid of you. CRAs dont make removaL decisions.  They record decisons made by the credtors, and reported to them.

Closing the account was not such a bad thing.  It will still continue to be scored in your AAoA calculation for approx ten years from its date of closing.  It is only then that you might see a drop in your AAoA.

This is minor stuff.  Leave it alone. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.