Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why All The Hate Towards Secured Cards?

tag
smitty1
New Contributor

Why All The Hate Towards Secured Cards?

I don't understand the hate towards secured CC's.  I see people all the time who can't get unsecured cards, saying they don't want a secured card.  Why?  If your rebuilding, or just starting out, or trying to get in with a bank, what is the problem?  If your in an open bankruptcy, like a chapter 13, secured cards are even hard to get.  Capital One denied me a secured card because my 13 is open.  I went with Discover and OpenSky.  Both good cards, fee wise, and the Discover can graduate to unsecured in time.  Anyways, just a few thoughts I had after seeing so many people bad mouth secured cards, they are much better than Credit One or Premier, imho.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why All The Hate Towards Secured Cards?

I don't have a problem with them - but sometimes the money is better spent paying off an old collection to improve your score rather than sitting in an account backing a secured card.

Also - sometimes people don't realize they can get an unsecured card - or assume they can't and just go the secured route.

I had a secured card a few years back - sadly the thing never graduated and I gave up on it - I needed that $300 to pay off an old debt more than I needed the card.   Now I have several unsecured cards.   

My husband is having trouble getting unsecured cards - Finally just got his first one.   We need to money to pay off child supprt from when he wasn't working - I'm not going to tie up funds that could be better used.   We added him as AU to my cards - and we'll get him his own in a few months after things are showing up on his reports.   

Sometimes you have to go the secured route - I just don't think it should be your FIRST line of action.   If you take care of baddies, and/or have the funds to lock up for a secured card - go for it.  

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think for some people, it's having to give up the deposit. If the cash flow is tight, it's hard to cough up $200. And some people are worried it won't show as well in scoring. My credit was so bad when I started, I knew the only way was a secured card. Now, 5 months later, I have about $2000 in unsecured credit plus my $350 secured. I considered it an investment into my future self. I'm just glad I have any credit at all! Did I mention my credit was bad? Like reeeeeaaallly bad. So, I threw down a deposit that I saved up, tightened my belt, and it's paying off. I wish more people would go secured, rather than the predatory lenders. Just my .02

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think for some people, it's having to give up the deposit. If the cash flow is tight, it's hard to cough up $200. And some people are worried it won't show as well in scoring. My credit was so bad when I started, I knew the only way was a secured card. Now, 5 months later, I have about $2000 in unsecured credit plus my $350 secured. I considered it an investment into my future self. I'm just glad I have any credit at all! Did I mention my credit was bad? Like reeeeeaaallly bad. So, I threw down a deposit that I saved up, tightened my belt, and it's paying off. I wish more people would go secured, rather than the predatory lenders. Just my .02

Crazed - I think that was just the parking fee to get out of the lot at the Crappy Credit Pub!  

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know, right? Thank goodness we don't have to meet there anymore!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know, right? Thank goodness we don't have to meet there anymore!

AGREED - you know - that was one of the BEST threads ever!!!!   I laughed at the updates for weeks!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

We need asbinjax to give us directions to that mediocre credit bar he was talking about. I may be hanging there for a while until I finish my credit clean up. At least I won't need a biohazard suit to do that lol!

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry smitty1 didn't mean to hijack your thread. Back to the topic at hand now...

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Theres a place called the Almost Marginal Credit Pub right around the corner from where I live. Only a two drink minimum and no cover charge on weeknights! Draft beer is a bit pricey at $9 a pop though...

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smitty1 wrote:

I don't understand the hate towards secured CC's.  I see people all the time who can't get unsecured cards, saying they don't want a secured card.  Why?  If your rebuilding, or just starting out, or trying to get in with a bank, what is the problem?  If your in an open bankruptcy, like a chapter 13, secured cards are even hard to get.  Capital One denied me a secured card because my 13 is open.  I went with Discover and OpenSky.  Both good cards, fee wise, and the Discover can graduate to unsecured in time.  Anyways, just a few thoughts I had after seeing so many people bad mouth secured cards, they are much better than Credit One or Premier, imho.

I think its mainly because most people are under the false assumption that if it is a "secured" card then it really doesn't count as far as credit scoring goes.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.