Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I will NEVER HAVE CAPITAL ONE card again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why I will NEVER HAVE CAPITAL ONE card again

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind that they went and stuck a $59.00 annual fee on our card WHILE we went into UNDERWRITING which dropped our score over 15 points. (Because it made my UTI look maxed even though the balance was 0 before that).

This doesn't make sense. If the limit was 300$ why would a 59$ AF show it as maxed?

I do everything online and I have never had a problem. I like them better than Citi or US Bank for sure. 

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the comments. Maybe it does have to do with that it was former HSBC. But that article shows tons of consumer complaints regarding fake fees and refusing to close accounts -- all of which I've experienced.

it can go like this, you get a statement about the mininum payment, you call up and ask what you need to pay to be brought current, they give you a dollar amount, then you pay it then you're not brought current and they put on fees. Sometimes they even waive a fee. This happenned to me. Over and Over again. One time it was off by like $2.00.I kept saying to them: "I haven't used this card in 3 years. I just paid you $150 and $125 before that. You told me that would bring me to 0 yet I'm not at 0! How can that be? This was a $300 card!!!" They always had a different reason.

They would tell me I could use the card, when it was actually revoked.

It's my fault for not being more on top of it but it's not rocket science and at this point -- I'm going to have to retrace my steps for 4 years. Which is difficult to do when they refuse to mail me statements or fax me statements.

I may try signing up online again.

I even had TWO SUPERVISORS give me their ID. Then when I called back -- guess what the rep said to me? "Those IDs don't exist. It's not possible."

!!!

This is the level of craziness I've experienced with Capital One.

Just to let people know to think twice about it.

I am sure tons of people's experiences are different and have no problem.

But that's not the case for me.

I'm just trying to figure out my next move.

I need to get copies of my statements, study and retrace my steps and file a complaint. Either with the CEO or the CFPB.

Or get a lawyer and sue them. I might to do that. I've won before when companies violated the FCRA.

Sorry to hear you've had such bad issues with Cap One. I fully understand how such things can leave a bad taste in ones mouth, even though others will say how great their experiences are. I had a similar Experience with BofA many years back, and swore to never do business with them again.

I also had an HSBC/Orchard card that switched to Cap One back in 2012. Luckily my transition went smooth, but I do understand that a lot of them did not. I do hope you can get it straightened out. Get as much account documentation that you can, so you can peice it all together.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an fyi - Time Warner Cable, which I also hate, charged me $550 for less than two months of service.

I refused to pay and argued with them until I was blue in the face. Reps hung up on me, transferred, dropped calls.

Put in on our credit report.

I called and complained and they *finally* admitted their mistake and fixed it.

Sometimes companies are awful to deal with and people need to know.

The problem is they can do whatever they want -- and the consumer has to the burden to fix it. Sometimes companies are great but something they have no eithics and don't care. The point is -- don't give up! It takes so much time, however, to research it that sometimes you're better off just not doing business with that company.

Sometimes its not so much the company itself but individual reps that some people have the bad luck of dealing with. I often wonder if the same bunch of crappy CSR's get shuffled around various companies giving them all a bad rep....

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! So true!

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind that they went and stuck a $59.00 annual fee on our card WHILE we went into UNDERWRITING which dropped our score over 15 points. (Because it made my UTI look maxed even though the balance was 0 before that).

This doesn't make sense. If the limit was 300$ why would a 59$ AF show it as maxed?

I do everything online and I have never had a problem. I like them better than Citi or US Bank for sure. 

Yes -- just to explain it *does* make sense. The bureaus interpreted it as a 100% balance increase. Then when it was paid back to 0 -- just yesterday -- the bureaus interpreted it as 100% balance decrease! Boom! Our score went up!

Crazy but true.

If MyFico has taught me anything it is this:

#1) Common Sense doesn't always apply!!!

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing BY 100% and increased TO 100% are two different things. Because myfico is bad at math, it calculates anything going from 0 > a positive number as 100%. 

But your actual utilization would only be 20% (rounded). 

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanted to share a recent horror story with Capital One. For some reason, they reported me late for the month of September 2015 to Transunion (not to Equifax and I can't check Experian). My due date is September 28, 2015. I've made two payments this month: one on September 4th and the other on September 14th. When I log into my account, there is no balance due. I'm about to go on an email and dispute spree.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.