Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I will NEVER HAVE CAPITAL ONE card again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why I will NEVER HAVE CAPITAL ONE card again

@ORllyNao wrote:

Are you sure this was Capital One and not Credit One? Even my secured card with Capital One rarely has any fees (only one I've seen was a late payment fee, and I've had the card for 3 years now), and it's easy to track my payments online so I know what was paid and when. What you're describing doesn't sound like CapOne, but DOES sound an awful lot like Credit One, who happens to have a logo that looks a lot like CapOne's, as well as a lot of fees and poor customer service, etc. 

At any rate, good luck getting everything sorted out. Sounds like a mess! 

I find it hard to believe when people app for Credit One and think its Capital One but how in the world can you have a card for three + years and not know the name of the card.  The only letters that are the same are the beginning C and the One.   I had a Capital One card in 2007 that did have an AF, its possible OP had the card for years and stopped using it because they wouldn't increase the limit or the rate was crappy. 

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know exactly what it is... I've been dealing with this nightmare for a while!

It's Capital One.

Actually, it was Household Bank and purchased by Cap1.

Cap1 -- SUCKS.

In my experience, they are the worst.

Even worse than some of the collection companies I've dealt with.

keep in mind, this was a card that was never charged off, never in collections.

I paid it in full.

Something is definitely going on.

Maybe going online would've been better than reps over the phone who basically have lied. But then again, because it was grandfathered in --  we could never get the online account to work.

It's just awful.

So - -now that we are rebuilding (my scores just went up!!!) and are getting to a much better place -- I will never have a Capital One card again. Ever. I think they are the worst to deal with. They have lost a customer over $300 -- which I must have spent close to $900 on... at least.

This was NOT a secured card but a regular card.

Still waiting on the faxes.

Also -- they told me it was in "revoked" status in 2012. Then when I started complaining they said, "it wasn't revoked until 2014."

Is it all their fault? Probably not but the point is -- I'm not a dummy and something is definitely haywire. I know what's what and it should not have been this hard.

Keep in mind that they went and stuck a $59.00 annual fee on our card WHILE we went into UNDERWRITING which dropped our score over 15 points. (Because it made my UTI look maxed even though the balance was 0 before that).

Like I said -- NIGHTMARE.

Then my lender just told me that CAPITAL ONE IS THE ONLY CARD that won't do anything for Rapid Rescore. They refuse. You have to wait until your statement cycles.

FYI -- Think long and hard before you put that *&^%$ in your wallet!!!

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know exactly what it is... I've been dealing with this nightmare for a while!

It's Capital One.

Actually, it was Household Bank and purchased by Cap1.

I'm guessing the HSBC card had the fees and when it went to Capital One, the fees stayed? I know your taste has soured for Cap1, but have you considered trying to get a product change, maybe to something like Quicksilver?

HSBC sucks. I had a card with them years and years ago. All I can say is UGH! Sorry you're having issues with them. Like I said earlier, I've never had any problems (or ridiculous fees) with any of my Cap1 cards.

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the comments. Maybe it does have to do with that it was former HSBC. But that article shows tons of consumer complaints regarding fake fees and refusing to close accounts -- all of which I've experienced.

it can go like this, you get a statement about the mininum payment, you call up and ask what you need to pay to be brought current, they give you a dollar amount, then you pay it then you're not brought current and they put on fees. Sometimes they even waive a fee. This happenned to me. Over and Over again. One time it was off by like $2.00.I kept saying to them: "I haven't used this card in 3 years. I just paid you $150 and $125 before that. You told me that would bring me to 0 yet I'm not at 0! How can that be? This was a $300 card!!!" They always had a different reason.

They would tell me I could use the card, when it was actually revoked.

It's my fault for not being more on top of it but it's not rocket science and at this point -- I'm going to have to retrace my steps for 4 years. Which is difficult to do when they refuse to mail me statements or fax me statements.

I may try signing up online again.

I even had TWO SUPERVISORS give me their ID. Then when I called back -- guess what the rep said to me? "Those IDs don't exist. It's not possible."

!!!

This is the level of craziness I've experienced with Capital One.

Just to let people know to think twice about it.

I am sure tons of people's experiences are different and have no problem.

But that's not the case for me.

I'm just trying to figure out my next move.

I need to get copies of my statements, study and retrace my steps and file a complaint. Either with the CEO or the CFPB.

Or get a lawyer and sue them. I might to do that. I've won before when companies violated the FCRA.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try filing a complaint with the BBB and CFPB.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an fyi - Time Warner Cable, which I also hate, charged me $550 for less than two months of service.

I refused to pay and argued with them until I was blue in the face. Reps hung up on me, transferred, dropped calls.

Put in on our credit report.

I called and complained and they *finally* admitted their mistake and fixed it.

Sometimes companies are awful to deal with and people need to know.

The problem is they can do whatever they want -- and the consumer has to the burden to fix it. Sometimes companies are great but something they have no eithics and don't care. The point is -- don't give up! It takes so much time, however, to research it that sometimes you're better off just not doing business with that company.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

"You could try filing a complaint with the BBB and CFPB."

I am but first I have to spend the days/weeks to see *exactly* what happenned. To get the facts. I am sure some of it was my "fault" in that my record keeping was off but I am 100% sure they are not on the up and up on this.

If I ever figure it out -- I'll post it!!

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

here is someone saying they reported late despite making payment!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/I-think-I-found-a-loophole/m-p/4189621#M43789...

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your awful experience with Cap One.  It does sound like they stuck you with a late fee that put you over the limit and then an over the limit fee.  Best thing to do with that is pay if all off and tell them good bye or start again.  They treat me pretty good.  Like some say, you can actually use their accounts and keep a small balance and they don't freak out.  

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I paid it off last year.

Then they stuck annual fee on there.

Here's the latest that happenned today:

Instead of just crediting back the annual fee of $59.00 and updating the bureaus -- THEY MARKED IN THE COMMENT SECTION IT'S IN DISPUTE!!!

God, I'm so frustrated.

My lender asked me what was going on-- you can have no disputes while in underwriting.

They are the worst.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.