Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why debt came back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why debt came back?

My mobile Verizon account was sent to collection back in 2007 for $1000 debt.  It had shown on my credit report for many years until 2013. It just went away somehow.  Apparently, a week ago I've received a letter in the mail regarding to the same Verizon account that I owe $1000. It's stated under an collection agency. I have re-looked at my credit report and there are inquiry history of it. I have applied for 4 credit cards in the last 3 months now so I don't know if that was to blame, maybe it probably triggered the neighborhood or awaken the dead.  I just hope that it doesn't appeared on my credit report. I guess I can probably live with this $1000 debt as long as it's not on my credit report. Well, I like you guys input on this.  Why did it come back? Why did it go away for many years and come back? Is this normal? Let me know what you guys know. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why debt came back?

A collection can only appear on your report for a period of 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD. Regardless if you still owe the debt and it doesn't matter how many times its sold from one CA to the next.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
A collection can only appear on your report for a period of 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD. Regardless if you still owe the debt and it doesn't matter how many times its sold from one CA to the next.

Let me try to understand your message. Correct me if I'm getting your message incorrect.  So regardless of how many different collection agencies it's been sold to or regardless if it went away for 3 years, the debt collection can still hunt me down within that 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD gap?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it can only appear on your credit files for that period of time.

An unpaid collection can hunt you down until the end of time.

They can't sue you and get a judgement after the SOL in your State.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No, it can only appear on your credit files for that period of time.

An unpaid collection can hunt you down until the end of time.

They can't sue you and get a judgement after the SOL in your State.

It has been approximately 7-8 years already. I'm sure they cannot sue me. But why did it come back when it's time for the account to go away? Unless it's falling into that 10 years, not 7 years.  This Verizon unpaid collection was showing on my credit report for 5 years and was vanished from my credit report 2 years after that 5 years, and now came back in the mailbox. I'm just confused. Maybe they're begging me for the very last time Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

In the long run it could be best to have it paid just for the reason of keeping them from trying to sue as well as it can still show up in odd situations like mortgage apps.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.