cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my report show I disputed when I didn't?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Why does my report show I disputed when I didn't?

I just got a Score Watch alert and when I logged in, saw this:

Account opened: 7/2011
Description: Consumer disputes this account information
Credit card
Amount in H/C column is credit limit
 Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0 
Past due:$0$0
Last activity:1/1/20132/1/2013
Description:Credit card
Consumer disputes this account information
Credit card

Contact: CAPITAL ONE, PO Box 30281, Salt Lake City, UT, 841300281

This is a current account in good standing and I did not dispute it. What the heck do I do to get rid of the dispute? I'm in the process of getting a mortgage and you can't have any disputes on your file.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Why does my report show I disputed when I didn't?

Ah crap I just realized what it is...

I disputed a charge on my card with the credit card company. That actually shows up on the credit report?! How they heck do I get rid of it?

Message 2 of 13
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Oh wow I wouldn't have thought disputing a charge would trigger this on a report.  Sorry that happened to you.

Has the disputed item been resolved yet?

I'd contact the creditor asking the remark be removed.....if not right now then as soon as the item you disputed is cleared up for sure!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 3 of 13
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

On the phone now with Capital One.

I had no idea either that a charge dispute would appear on a credit report as "Consumer disputes account information". 

Message 4 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, when you dispute directly with the CCC they are required by law to report it to the CRAs as disputed.  It doesn't matter that it is only a dispute for a charge.

Message 5 of 13
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I ended up cancelling the dispute. It was for $37.00 from a service I disputed that wasn't performed. I'd rather pay the $37.00 than have it mess up my mortgage.

Message 6 of 13
notyours
Contributor

Sorry this happened but I am glad you posted I almost just disputed a $16 charge
GW success 30 day late removed from 2 store accounts.
waiting on Citibank SL GW response --
Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

I ended up cancelling the dispute. It was for $37.00 from a service I disputed that wasn't performed. I'd rather pay the $37.00 than have it mess up my mortgage.

Make sure it gets removed from your CR.

Message 8 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The actual credit reporting code for disputes is inclusive of both disputes under the FCRA and FCBA.

If one disputes a billing matter under the Fair Credit Billing Act, it is reportable to the CRA.

The problem is that the CRA is not a party to an FCBA dispute, and thus the creditor must take it upon themselves to follow up after the dispute is resolved and notify the CRA of its resolution.  They are legally required to timely update under FCRA 623(a)(2), but requirements dont assure compliance.

Message 9 of 13
gummiebear
New Contributor

Yes, glad you posted this info. Had no idea they put on your credit report a charged item you dispute. I would never have thought that was important to credit bureaus. It is almost a full-time job to monitor your credit, financial info. I have something on my credit as a public record have to go to court to have removed. It is like $100 and is a spouse's and I had no idea they were putting this on my credit. Hope they rule in my favor. Will let u know. Does anyone have that life lock service? I'm thinking it might be worth it to get it so I don't get crazy surprises anymore.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.