Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the same collection keep doing soft pulls on my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does the same collection keep doing soft pulls on my credit

I have 2 soft pulls from the same collection. I don't want to call them and they are located in florida. I am located in CT. most of my previous collections were either from NY or CT. why don't they just call or mail me the bill to my house. I am also afraid to call because since they are doing soft pulls it might be a huge bill. The dates of the soft pulls are in Sept 2013 and Dec 2014. All this info came from annual credit report .com
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does the same collection keep doing soft pulls on my credit

They are waiting to pounce and find an opening. Beware. If they're soft pulling your file, you're still on their rader. Best to work something out if you can and it's not out of the SOL date or a judgement.
Message 2 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Research your "Collection Score" each year model of Fico has one.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 2 soft pulls from the same collection. I don't want to call them and they are located in florida. I am located in CT. most of my previous collections were either from NY or CT. why don't they just call or mail me the bill to my house. I am also afraid to call because since they are doing soft pulls it might be a huge bill. The dates of the soft pulls are in Sept 2013 and Dec 2014. All this info came from annual credit report .com

Some CA's hire a skip tracer to soft pull your report from time to time in order to locate you. It's possible that the CA does not have your current address, so they look for clues in your credit reports, local credit union accounts, utilities, etc will tip them off os to your general location. 

Skip tracing can be expensive so the CA probably thinks they have a good chance of collecting from you.

Message 4 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They may wish to see your currernt credit standing, which will give an idea of whether beginning active collection will likely prevail.

They could also be contemplating legal action, and wish to get an idea whether there is money to be had.

You are fortunate it is only a soft pull, as they have permissible purpose and can pull as hard.

You do not have to wait for them to call or send dunning notice before requesting debt validation.

You can send a DV at any time should you wish to invoke a cease collection bar.

If you do send a DV, I would be sure to also include a request for the name of the OC, which should assist in determining whether the debt is legit.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow a lot of serious information. The last soft pull that they did was in DEC 2014 and my TU fico was 595. In February 2015 finally my dispute worked and had a few baddies removed and managed to save up and wipe my credit free of collection(PAY FOR DELETE) and pay down my credit card debt ratio from 105% all the way down to 3%. My TU fico today is about 700. I still have a charge off and a 120 late student loan.

However if they compare 2015 credit report to the 2014 they will know that I have regained control of my financial life. I really hope it is not a large bill but these ppl are serious dept collectors. They even have there own website where you can set up a user account and view when your payments update on your account. Kinda crazy.

Also I have 4 different address on my credit file the rest are uncles/Aunts who consigned for me for a credit card.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is their website. I read somewhere that there annual revenue is 12Million - 22Million

I hope someone here has heard of them if any history please advise me anything. Thank you all

https://client.mafcollection.com/facsweb/webloginc.htm.

Message 7 of 16
mwlcolorado
Established Member

Portfolio Recovery has been doing soft pulls on me at least 3-4 times a year for a debt from 2002(way outside the SOL.)  I'm not too concerned.  About once a quarter, they send me a settlement letter and I usually get a phone call every 6 months.  I've contemplated a couple times about settling with them (it's only $120ish) but then I think back to all the illegal crap they pulled and harassment I endured and just decided to say screw it.  Since it's out of the SOL, there isn't much they can do.  They can keep doing soft pulls and sending letters and I can keep putting them in the shred pile.

Starting Score: 626 (EQ) / 646 (TU) / 631 (EX) 10 January 2015
Current Score: 775 (EQ) / 776 (TU) / 754(EX) 30 July 2015
Goal Score: 801

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow they did 3-4 soft pulls for $120-$300. I am now starting to think that this is a old bill or if not it is the wrong bill. This collection has to do with merchants and the only debt that I had was medical.

I knew it if this bill was in the thousands I am sure I would get all that harassment attention
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow they did 3-4 soft pulls for $120-$300. I am now starting to think that this is a old bill or if not it is the wrong bill. This collection has to do with merchants and the only debt that I had was medical.

I knew it if this bill was in the thousands I am sure I would get all that harassment attention

Kep in mind that debt collectors typically pay $.03 on the dollar for your debt, so just about any amount they collect is profit.

Is your debt past the SOL? if so, you can send them a cease and desist letter which in turn will stop the soft pulls, as you take away their hopes of collecting on it.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.