cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the collection agency updating my credit report every week?

tag
thegooch

Why is the collection agency updating my credit report every week?

They used to not update my report, despite my making monthly payments to them. After 3 months, they started updating the balance owed every month to reflect my payments. After a few more months, they started updating pratically every week , now reporting the balance change when they add interest to the balance due. 

Should I be concerned about this behaviour? They aren't lying but they are "reaging" my debt fairly frequently.  There may be other affects of their behavior that I don't know about. :/

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why is the collection agency updating my credit report every week?

It's not uncommon for them to update. In fact, they are supposed to if you make monthly payments. It doesn't re-age the debt and it'll still delete as scheduled, but the updating, in certain circumstances, can result in a FICO ding. Though if updating monthly, the ding won't get any worse each month.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why is the collection agency updating my credit report every week?

It is not uncommon for many creditors to disregard credit reporting until such time as derogs and delinquencies occur.

They are not required to report positive prior acts.  They are prevented from reporting knowingly inaccurate information, which is not the same as requring them to report all accurate information.  If they never report, they can never have reported inaccurately.

There are some circumstances where this requirement to report accurately may compel reporting, such as when events occur that make previously accurate information now inaccurate.  That is when updating is required. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.