cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the fed govt doing hard pulls on me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is the fed govt doing hard pulls on me?

Ive recieved these two hard pulls last week. I cant find any info or phone number doing a google search on the washigton dc address. I dont have any govt debt, so I have no idea whats goin on. But I cant get ahold of anyone and Im buggin out asto why the fed is running my credit check. I called the SC office and Im directed to a edited which goes to voicemail, so far no call back. I have a student loan but why would the DOJ check on me about that? I pay it every month. How much is this hurting my score? I had a 660 on transunion last week , now its 649, I cant see any reason except for these pulls

US Attorneys - washington

600 E Street, NW Rm 700

Us Dept of Justice Eous

Washington DC 205300001

no notes

Experian list another Government pull as

cbc/us atty/south carolina

1441 main st. ste 500

columbia sc 29201

address id # 0066375048

comments:

Government Debt. This inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until feb. 2012

Message Edited by llecs on 01-19-2010 11:55 AM
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Why is the fed govt doing hard pulls on me?

Just out of curiosity...have you recently filled out any paperwork for a security clearance??

BUT....I just noticed this:  " Government Debt. This inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until feb. 2012"  That's not good. 

I'd write a letter to both addresses & send CMRRR.  I can understand why you're sweatin' a bit there....good luck & let us know what you find out.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 01-19-2010 12:01 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, no security clearance.  thats why Im confused. If I owed money i would think they would contact me and ask for it. I dont think Ive done anything illegal. Im totally in the dark. with my luck someone has stolen my ID and started a jihad group or something
Message 3 of 37
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I'd write those letters ASAP & possibly put a fraud alert on your reports.  I might be jumping the gun here, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 37
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Does your job or the company you work for do any contract work with the government?
Message 5 of 37
newstart2010
Blogger

Have you ever been on unemployment?  If so maybe they are about to collect for an overpayment?  Or maybe you have some tax issues that need to be cleared up.  I would definitately write to them and find out what is going on and why they are contacting you.  I would also contact the CRAs and tell them that you did not authorize these pulls and see if you can get them removed.
I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had been on unemployment in the state of georgia about 4 years ago. But the company I work for doesnt do any govt work. Im going to call back again to the sc office and see if someone can tell me whats going on
Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both INQs are from the federal government -- one from the Justice Department and one from the DOJ's US Attorney for the District of South Carolina. 

Now, there is good news and there is bad news. 

Bad News:  Other possible reasons for the Justice Department to pull your credit report include collection of debts (especially child support arrears) and criminal investigations.  If for a criminal investigation, they usually follow rather quickly with a "target letter" for grand jury proceedings.

Good News:  If it's over a criminal investigation, you wouldn't have seen the INQ as they are, by policy, suppressed.  One of the only times you would be able to see there was an INQ that the DOJ placed pertaining to a criminal investigation is if -- and only if -- they were looking at you for willful evasion of taxes and / or child support.  The only reason they do not suppress those INQs is because up until they actualy indict you there is still a chance to make things right with them by paying up.

So, unless you are seriously delinquent in child support or have tax issues, you do not need to keep your suitcase packed.  But I'd still look into ID theft and other issues that posters before me have raised.

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newstart2010 wrote:
Have you ever been on unemployment?  If so maybe they are about to collect for an overpayment?  Or maybe you have some tax issues that need to be cleared up.  I would definitately write to them and find out what is going on and why they are contacting you.  I would also contact the CRAs and tell them that you did not authorize these pulls and see if you can get them removed.

US Attorney / South Carolina means the United States Attorney for the District (Federal Judicial District) of South Carolina.  The US attorney is a federal official under the US Dept. of Justice.

The federal government has nothing to do with the collection of of unemployment overpayments.  That is a state function.

Inquiries by the federal government in cases like this virtually always have permissible purpose.  Whether or not you authorized them is irrelevant.

Message Edited by O6 on 01-19-2010 05:17 PM
Message 9 of 37
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with O6.

The fed government only has to assert right to access to a consumer credit report by stating that it involves an employment application, and that there is a reason to believe that your employment might reasonably involve any of the activities set forth in FCRA 604(b)(ii) and (iii).

It does not require that the access by related to a national security clearance, which is the separte permissable pull authorization set forth in FCRA 604(b)(i).

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.