cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would a collection drop off suddenly after 2+ years?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would a collection drop off suddenly after 2+ years?

I checked my fako CapOne score this morning and it jumped from 618 to 682. I also noticed my debt was only $450. And about $1K was missing from that.  Which was equal to a collection bill from Sprint. The collection was from 2013 which seemed odd why it would drop. I checked Credit Karma and on my TU and EQ it also shows Sprint as being 'removed' as of May 5th 2015 from enhanced recovery. 

My score was in the mid 500s less than six months ago so I'm  greatful that now I have zero baddies. But confused..thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why would a collection drop off suddenly after 2+ years?

Only thing I can think of is that it might have been sold to another collector. I'd monitor over the next couple of months and see what happens. Maybe you are lucky for some reason :-)

If that collection does come back, would you consider paying it? Sometimes collectors will settle for less as well, especially if the debt has been re-sold (it was probably purchased for far less than face value). It would give you a nice score boost, still would not have a great score but in my opinion a small price to pay for such a score boost which will help you in the long haul. Your choice though.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it does yes, it was the only baddie on my report. 

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA credit reporting manual instructs debt collectors that they should delete their collection if their collection authority is terminated and the debt remains unpaid.

If the creditor still owns the debt, they most likely terminated the debt collector.

If the debt collector owned the debt, they most likely sold it to another.

In either event, a new debt collector could pop up.

However, the credit report exclusion date would remain as no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a good option in terms of taking care of that debt. But beware, if it did not just magically fall off your credit report it will report for 7 years from when you became delinquent on the account. In terms of partially paying a collection agency make sure you go through the necessary steps for pay to delete etc. Also there is a chance that if you settle for less than the original debt there will be a note stating something along the those lines. Some creditors frown upon having a "paid less than owed" on a closed debt account because they think that that will happen to them as well. 

I don't know your story with the debt or your financial situation, but the best route in closing a collection account is to settle it directly with the original creditor, if possible.

Good luck to you and I hope that your collection fell through the cracks. I just had a close relative that dealt with collections and really could have used this type of advice. 

Message 5 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

I had 2 medicals fall off 1 report but not the other 2.  (was 2012 or 2013 original dates so only 2 or 3 years old)

its been about 2 months, nothing new showing on report.  It could of been sold or terminated or any number of things.  Id suggest just waiting awhile to see if it pops back up. If its a new company youll know, if the same company there was just some error probably.  If its stays gone, yay!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a few do this while the old CA was changing names. I'm sure that's not your situation, but as already mentioned, it's probably being transferred to a new CA. I would use this (and I did, in my situation) to pay off / settle the debt so that it doesn't re-appear later. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.