Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why???

tag
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Why???

Why does disputing items on your CR lower your score?  It's not fair!

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why???

The theory is that it is fair.

If the accuracy of information is disputed, then removing it from scoring until the issue is resolved is supposedly in the interest of the consumer.

Disputes should be resolved within 30'ish days of filing, so the period of scoring exclusion should be brief.

The problem is that the CRAs are notorious for not removing the disptue flag as a simple admininstrative matter when sending the Results of Notice of Reinvestigation, which formally concludes the dispute.

Message 2 of 10
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I think it depends. As weird as it sounds, a (what looks like a) negative account may actually be helping your credit score. 

An example would be a 6 year old charged off account that shows a $0 balance. It's so old that the charge off doesn't weigh much on the score but the fact that it's old actually helps the average age of accounts. 

Message 3 of 10
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Hopefully when resolved my scores will go back up. So sad.
Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 4 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@NY_Beauty wrote:

Why does disputing items on your CR lower your score?  It's not fair!

A lowered FICO score is one of the many things that can go wrong when disputing items, accurate or invalid. Nothing wrong with disputing, but there are many risks involved and this is one.

Per FICO scoring, active disputes only impact OC accounts. FICO will ignore the balance, CL, and payment history. So, really the only account that can lead to a FICO drop in a dispute is a CC, and that had to have had a positive impact on util. There are several scenarios that can lead to an increase at the start of the dispute.

Once the dispute clears and it no longer is listed as a dispute, and then you could see a drop from those temporary gains from the onset of the dispute. It also isn't uncommon for a creditor to update the reporting to where it was worse than before and that also can lead to a net loss (e.g. added lates, changed stati, added comments, etc.). 

While disputing is a tool on misreporting accounts, there are steps that should be taken before the dispute (e.g. a DV, police report if not yours, getting apayment history from a creditor if lates are misreported, etc.)

Message 5 of 10
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I just did a dispute on 2 items on mine so I guess if I see a drop in my score I wont worry as much , hopeing once they are off it will actually increase my score.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Another of the myriad of advantages to using the direct dispute process as opposed to disputing through a CRA is that it might avoid the placing of a dispute flag in the consumer's credit file.

When disputing through a CRA, the dispute flag is automatic.  It's their dispute to decide.

When sending a direct dispute to the furnisher, the CRA has no knowledge of or involvement in the dispute itself unless the furnisher reports notification of the dispute to the CRA,  I doubt that many take the time to make that separate reporting.

Message 7 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ RobertEG,

I don't know if many appreciate the benefits of directly disputing with the furnisher of information when it comes to actual inaccuracies.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Honestly I'd rather lose a few points than have the exact opposite happen to me. I have active disputes which caused my score to rise because of the items the dispute ignores. Basically, if the disputes end in the disputee's favor then I will theoretically lose points. I haven't really factored them into my overall credit growth because of the situation, but now that I am so close to 600 I will be upset if they drop.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Score now back up to 656... I can't figure this stuff out. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.