Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why...

tag
Primevci
New Contributor

Why...

Why does it seem that someone that files a BK is better off then me trying to repair the credit and pay debt that is owed? examplemy brother filed bk and now he will be able to get a house this year.. I stick it out so i dont defualt on myloans and im worse off..

Starting Score: EQ:539/TU:569 3/24/13
Current Score: EQ:552/TU:569
Goal Score: EQ:640/TU:640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

Re: Why...

One reason is when you file a bk your debt is gone. Having no debt is good.
My scores before bk very bad! After I filed they went up cause my debt went from owing tons to zero. Then I got a few secured cards and two lines of credit. Now I have 8 cc a car loan and paying everything on time. Scores are in mid 600's and only discharged 10 months ago.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 2 of 9
Primevci
New Contributor

That's awesome dude.. Just thinking I maybe should have done it a few years ago

Starting Score: EQ:539/TU:569 3/24/13
Current Score: EQ:552/TU:569
Goal Score: EQ:640/TU:640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Your brother may be able to buy a house, but how do you know he won't end up with higher interest, etc? The grass is not always greener when you look at someone's overall financial picture. Scores aren't everything.  And if something goes wrong, and he has financial troubles again - he's not going to be able to file bankruptcy for several years. That's sometimes attractive from a lender viewpoint. Who's a better credit risk than someone who is not able to legally discharge a debt? Not every lender feels that way, but there are those who do.

For every story about a person who seems to have gamed the system somehow, I promise you there are just as many who didn't see their bankruptcy as a "get out of jail free" card. You've written before about how focused you've been on saving up money for your down payment - that is awesome. You have actual money! Which beats having credit - credit is not the same thing as cash in hand. Credit can come & go; lenders can lower credit limits whenever they like. Your cash, though, isn't going anywhere. It'll pretty much be useful anytime you care to use it.

Keep your chin up.

Message 4 of 9
grimalkin
Established Member

OP, it may suck right now, but on the bright side you'll never have the permanent public BK record out there.  Sure, your credit may stink for up to 7 years, but after that, it's all forgotten.  On the other hand, a BK will come up with a simple PACER search or heck, even on Google.  I would hate for future employers to ever run across an old court document like a BK.

5/2021 FICO8 TU 845; EQ8 820; EXP 819
Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@grimalkin wrote:

OP, it may suck right now, but on the bright side you'll never have the permanent public BK record out there.  Sure, your credit may stink for up to 7 years, but after that, it's all forgotten.  On the other hand, a BK will come up with a simple PACER search or heck, even on Google.  I would hate for future employers to ever run across an old court document like a BK.

There is absolutely no shame in filing for BK.

Message 6 of 9
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Grimalkin......There is many things I could say in response to this, but I will take the high road.    There is NO shame in having to file BK, as Guiness said.  I was trying to clean my credit up, just like the OP, however when you loose 2 jobs in a tough economy it can get real.....real quick.....I filed because I wanted a fresh start, and thats what I got.  Its not as easy as you think after BK, YES my debt (that was dischargable) however the old accounts still remain and they show BAD just like anything else.  To the OP, hang in there......We are all in here to learn and help...

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 7 of 9
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Primevci wrote:

Why does it seem that someone that files a BK is better off then me trying to repair the credit and pay debt that is owed? examplemy brother filed bk and now he will be able to get a house this year.. I stick it out so i dont defualt on myloans and im worse off..

Welcome to the club.  But, regardless of the ease of burning everyone and possibly rebounding quicker, look in the mirror and see integrity.  Everyone has their own ideas and morals, yet some have no other choice.  It just is what it is. 

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 8 of 9
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

OP question as to WHY his brother's better off and able to get a house.
I explained its cause of no debt when your discharge your debt in a bk your scores go up.
For the record I was giving MY history to show what I got after my discharge vs if had debt I wouldn't have got.

For me bk was a fresh start and glad I did. But it's not for everyone.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.