Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife's account on MY Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife's account on MY Report

I recently noticed that 3 accounts in my wife's name have been added to my Equifax Credit report. They are all collections. Can they do this? Should I dispute it? Every time I dispute w Equifax my score drops! I usually dispute via mail, does anyone recommend an online dispute for this?!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife's account on MY Report

If you didn't sign up as a co-borrower, then it shouldn't be on your report. Dispute it immediately.

Message 2 of 7
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Meh it happened to me. With my husband's account. They told me its a community property state and his debt are my debts. Fortunately, I was able to prove that those debts occurred before we were married and they removed them.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Community property state or not, her accounts shouldn't be on his credit reports unless they are co-signers or joint on the account. I had an issue with my hubby's ssn being an alternate number on my reports (cu switched our numbers) and they had to take it off, thankfully no accounts were messed up.
Message 4 of 7
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debt-marriage-owe-spouse-debts-29572.html

"Debts. In community property states, most debts incurred by either spouse during the marriage are owed by the "community" (the couple), even if only one spouse signed the paperwork for a debt. The key here is during the marriage. So if you incur a debt, such as a student loan, while you're single, and then get married, it won't automatically become a joint debt. (An exception is where a spouse signs on to an account as a joint account holder after getting married.) Some states, like Texas, have a more nuanced way of analyzing who owes what debts by evaluating who incurred the debt, for what purpose, and when."

That's basically what I read most places. I've had the fun of dealing with this in Washington State. I don't know for a fact that's just the answer I got over and over when trying to remove it. After looking at the dates I realized I wasn't even married! We've seen this over and over in Virginia too where medical bills and basic needs gets attached to a spouse. State does matter here.
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not file a dispute.

They need only verify what they have already told you is their interpretation.

You have an issue of factual interpretation of what is or is not included under the FCRA.

That is fodder for ruling by the CFPB,

I would recommend handling by way of filing a complaint with the CFPB, who has clear authority for administrative enforcement of the FCRA, and get their interpretation.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi-just to update I did an online dispute through credit karma-equifax and it was deleted within 10 days.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.