cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AMEX transfer Rebuilder age to a New Account?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Will AMEX transfer Rebuilder age to a New Account?

I had 2 AMEX cards for a very long time and lost them both about a year ago due to credit problems. AMEX did give me, however, an Optima rebuilder card. I'm coming up on my year Anniversary with the Optima and my credit score is now well over 100 points higher than when I started the rebuilder program. I want to get a regular card with them, but don't want to lose the age on the Optima card.

Is the only way to keep the age of the Optima card is to request a product change? If I apply for a new card, all together, is there any chance they will transfer the age to that new application, or must it be a product change? I'm asking because I'd like to get the sign up bonus of a new card, so would prefer not to do a product change if I won't get the bonus. Additionally, I wouldn't want to keep the Optima open, along with a new card, as the Optima has an Annual Fee.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will AMEX transfer Rebuilder age to a New Account?

@Repairman wrote:

I had 2 AMEX cards for a very long time and lost them both about a year ago due to credit problems. AMEX did give me, however, an Optima rebuilder card. I'm coming up on my year Anniversary with the Optima and my credit score is now well over 100 points higher than when I started the rebuilder program. I want to get a regular card with them, but don't want to lose the age on the Optima card.

Is the only way to keep the age of the Optima card is to request a product change? If I apply for a new card, all together, is there any chance they will transfer the age to that new application, or must it be a product change? I'm asking because I'd like to get the sign up bonus of a new card, so would prefer not to do a product change if I won't get the bonus. Additionally, I wouldn't want to keep the Optima open, along with a new card, as the Optima has an Annual Fee.

What can I do?

Amex no longer backdates any new accounts and AFAIK there is no PC from an Optima card.

Message 2 of 4
Repairman
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Amex no longer backdates any new accounts and AFAIK there is no PC from an Optima card.

They did backdate my Optima. 

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Repairman wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

They did backdate my Optima. 

Maybe so, but as of 3/22/15 no new accounts get backdated on the CR

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-No-Longer-Backdating-to-Credit-Bureau-s/td-p/39076...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.