Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Hippa apply to me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Hippa apply to me?

Ok, this may sound a liitle out of whack, but i'm still new. So, please take it easy on me.Smiley Happy I have 5 hospital collections totaling about $7,086. These bills came from when i was unemployed with no insurance and was in a bad car accident. Anyways, I called the billing department to see where i stood with the bills. Apparently they have an inhouse CA that they call receivable solutions. She told me that the still had all my bills, but i would need to contact them for payment arrangements. If and after that i could make payments at either place. That totally confused the heck outta me. She said she was mailing me a copy of the itemized bills. Where do i go from here? I donot have $7000 right now, that i'm just etting back on my feet good. I donot want to be stuck in a bunch of payments, but i want my credit cleared. HELP PLEASE!!!1 any and all advice needed, even if it's just for inspiration.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Hippa apply to me?

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, this may sound a liitle out of whack, but i'm still new. So, please take it easy on me.Smiley Happy I have 5 hospital collections totaling about $7,086. These bills came from when i was unemployed with no insurance and was in a bad car accident. Anyways, I called the billing department to see where i stood with the bills. Apparently they have an inhouse CA that they call receivable solutions. She told me that the still had all my bills, but i would need to contact them for payment arrangements. If and after that i could make payments at either place. That totally confused the heck outta me. She said she was mailing me a copy of the itemized bills. Where do i go from here? I donot have $7000 right now, that i'm just etting back on my feet good. I donot want to be stuck in a bunch of payments, but i want my credit cleared. HELP PLEASE!!!1 any and all advice needed, even if it's just for inspiration.

Thanks in advance!

First off, I am glad you are doing better.

Secondly, did you have no car insurance or no health insurance? 7k should have been covered by the car insurance sans your deductible so you should check with them ASAP. Was the accident jsut you hitting somethign or did it involve another person with insurance. Is your state a no fault state where there is medical insurance for car accidents?

Thirdly (and you are not going to like this point) what do you mean you do not want to be stuck with payments? You used their services and they fixed you up so they should get paid -- 7k seems very very low for major car accident medical bill.

But where to go from there? Make your budget including the necessities only (shelter, food, etc) and a minimal entertainment budget (netflix for 10 bucks and internet or the like). The remainder is what you have to work with. From the budget you should also know exactly whom you owe what and exactly what you need for minimal living. Start by making a rainy day fund of 6-9 months of these minimum living expensive. Then the rest will go into covering your debt. Once you have figured this out you can call them and negotiate knowing what you can pay each month starting from when. You could ask if there is any help for people who got injured without health insurance. You may even want to talk to a social worker. Come up with a payment plan with them and follow through. Ask them to not report as late /delinquent while yoau re working on this plan. If you must you can start paying off immediately while still working on the rainy day fund (they may not be willing to wait).

Of course go over the charges with a fine tooth comb and make sure you did use all the stuff you are billed for.

Message 2 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Apply for charity care. This can eliminate or reduce your bills. Call the hospital back, and ask. They are required to give you an application.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adeilia,

I did in fact have car insurance. Someone hit me and even within the settlement, they didnt pay all of the hospital bills because all werent in. They were having system issues during that time. So i'm guessing that's why. Anyways when i say i dont wanna make payments, i'm talking about $300 payments. That's not in my budget. Others i have already done so. I didn't have any health insurance at the time, because i was layed off (so did 500 more employees) and couldnt afford that cobra insurance. so that's me in a nutshell. I called the hospital (which is money hunfrey because they were being sued to the point they were talking of closing the hospital and still going to court as we speak) they said that i cannot get charity help because the age of the account was before 2013. Dont know what that has to do with it, but thats what was said.

Message 4 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

They have to offer charity care. Go higher up if need be. Research for your state. I just got charity write offs dating back to 2009.

Doesn't have anything to do with money hungry, just be persistent, if you can't afford it, you can't.

PS, they used to give me that line, didn't work so well. Call the administrators if necessary, anything. A lot of front line charity reps are outsourced, you need to get the hospital reps involved.
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
They have to offer charity care. Go higher up if need be. Research for your state. I just got charity write offs dating back to 2009.

Doesn't have anything to do with money hungry, just be persistent, if you can't afford it, you can't.

PS, they used to give me that line, didn't work so well. Call the administrators if necessary, anything. A lot of front line charity reps are outsourced, you need to get the hospital reps involved.

Yes. It has to be offered. I agree with contacting the hospital. Contact the patient account rep. supervisor. That person can make the decision. Again, they know its better to get a little money than none at all. Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.