cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be able to qualify for a house in 2013?

tag
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Will I be able to qualify for a house in 2013?

A little history about me and my credit situation. I am mid 30s, always paid cash for things and ignored any and all credit issues. Other than being ignorant, there is no good reason why I have bad credit because I've always had a good job and have no major dings on my credit. No foreclosures, BK, repos etc. Therefore, as of mid last year I decided it was time to take responsibility for my finances. Lately, I have been really wanting to buy a house for my daughter and myself. I pulled my reports and paid 7/8 negative items in full since then. I have an old Verizon account that is outstanding  because the amount included equipment. I spoke to a rep that said if I sent the equipment back it would drastically reduce the amount owed. I told her I would pay the final balance after that has been updated but have yet to get anywhere on retrieving the final balance even after calling several times, that is why it is still outstanding. 

Besides the recently paid negative items, I have my car note and student loans which are both current. I have paid my car note late a few times but am going to pay it off by March (9 months early) and will send a GW letter asking them to remove the couple late payments from 2012. 

I recently opened a FP and C1 card (both with 300 limits) to help increase my score by paying on time and maintaining zero balances. 

In addition to all of this, I signed up with a credit repair agency the beginning of November 2012 to try to expedite getting these things removed or updated but havent seen much done, only received 3 updates on TU, even though the same items are on all 3 reports. 

As of now my score is 582 across the board and I would desperatly like to buy a house the end of 2013 with a score of high 600s so I can get a 4% interest rate or lower.

My questions to you all wonderful people are 1) do you think my timeline is feasible? 2) should I drop the CR agency and just wait for my scores to rise by themselves? 3) is there anything else you can suggest that I should do to ensure I can qualify for a mortgage? 

Thank you Man Happy 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Will I be able to qualify for a house in 2013?

I am far from an expert but I have been per approved for mortgage with 2 lenders and am currently house shopping. Most lenders I talked to wanted to see at least a 620 score since I have less than the 20% down payment. And my debt to income ratio has been a big factor- I paid off my car just before applying. I would recommend waiting til your car shows paid off, and work on cli on your new cards. Btw- I have a bk and foreclosure in 08, mid score of 642 and I was approved for 3.75% on an FHA. Good luck!!! 

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 2 of 8
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Wow..this really gives me hope..thank you so much and congratulations! I am going to do everything in my power to bring in 2014 in my new house. Smiley Happy

Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

First and foremost, I would not use a credit repair agency.  Anything they could legally do, you could do better and for free.  I have seen too many times where things got worse instead of better.

Just paying off negative TL will do nothing for your score.   Try sending GW letters to those you have paid.  If they are collections try having them totally removed.  If they are OC accounts see if they would remove the negative annotations and not the TL.  OC accounts count towards AAoA.

How old are these items you are/have paid?

Will any negative fall off soon?

Message 4 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

First and foremost, I would not use a credit repair agency.  Anything they could legally do, you could do better and for free.  I have seen too many times where things got worse instead of better.

Just paying off negative TL will do nothing for your score.   Try sending GW letters to those you have paid.  If they are collections try having them totally removed.  If they are OC accounts see if they would remove the negative annotations and not the TL.  OC accounts count towards AAoA.

How old are these items you are/have paid?

Will any negative fall off soon?

Dear Lord. THIS!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^

Using a credit repair agency is the worst thing to do for home purchase... 

I am not opposed to their service, or their products, BUT repair orgs cannot use the direct dispute process since they are not the person with the debt in question, therefor leaving their only option with disputing (if its needed) is a CRA dispute.. if that dispute fails, there will be a tag on the account saying account is in dispute, and those can be a pain in the butt to remove... and your lender will require those to be removed if the account is not paid..

Happy new year!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 8
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Thank you, I will close out my service with the CR agency immediately. 

Some accounts were old and have fallen off but the ones I paid are from 2007 and on. 

Message 6 of 8
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Wow, I didn't know that but now I know. Thank you!

Message 7 of 8
Mama-j
Contributor

You can do it. I've gained 103 increase within 10 months, but it's only been a month since I've joined the forum and pay attn to my score/report and gained 34+ this month alone and I expect togain 30+ more because I gotmy utilities down to 12%. Like everybody had said you can do it on your own. I'm shooting for 680+ on all 3 CR by March/Apr so I can shop for house by June and I believe I can do it. Make sure to get your utl down, no lates and no new inq. Good luck to you Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 2/22/12: EQ 530, TU 553, EX 528(lender). 12/4/12 (rebuilding starts)= EQ 599.
Current Score: 1/4/16: EQ 743, TU FICO 724, EX 737.
Goal Score: 750 all across.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.