cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get approved for BOA secured card with 621 score? I applied last night and got this message

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Will I get approved for BOA secured card with 621 score? I applied last night and got this message

I felt that it would be good to have two secured cards as opposed to just my capital one.  I applied for the BOA Bank of Americard secured card last night and I put a $300 deposit down.  I did not get an instant decision but I got this message.

"Your business is appreciated and careful consideration is being given to your request, but an instant decision cannot be provided at this time.  You will receive a written response within the next 30 days."

Was I turned down? 

I got the capital one card with a 609 score.

Is there hope that they will write back and say I am approved?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Re: Will I get approved for BOA secured card with 621 score? I applied last night and got this mess

I would think you would be approved. They approved me for a secured card and my scores are worse than yours.

They sent me the offer in the mail after I was declined for a unsecured card.
USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 2 of 14
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will I get approved for BOA secured card with 621 score? I applied last night and got this mess

It's just that it is so frustrating to get a decline letter.  I remember the days when I would apply and be approved immediately.

Message 3 of 14
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

When I applied my score was 569....plus countless derogs and a lot more. I received the same message. But a week later I got a 1-888 call on my cell, answered it and it was BofA calling me. The CS agent called to verify my deposit amount and approved me immediately! Just be patient. 

Started from the bottom, now I'm here: 4/20/15: EX-674 TU 704 EQ-677
TU-Clean...EQ & EX-1 Paid Collections & 1 Judgement
T minus 4 months until Operation EE!!
Goal: 750 Across the board! AMEX Approved! Living in the Garden
Message 4 of 14
jayrock24
Regular Contributor

u should have applied for a unsecure card since its a hard pull either way and then if you wasnt approved they would have sent you a counter offfer maybe the 500/99 secured card that you pay 100 deposit and get 500 credit limit or the fully secured card then you wouldnt have to wait but call them and inquire and u will be amazed at what you can get done with a simple phone call

gardening tu fico 770 eq fico 735 ex fico 698 last app 2/27 chase freedom instant approval planing on gardening until my house search begins sometime in jun or july
Message 5 of 14
athan12
Contributor

Question

Can I just go to my local BofA branch and show them a tangible/printed copy of my latest credit report and see if I can get approved for a BofA unsecured credit card? If they tell me I won't be getting approved for a BofA unsecured CC then I will go ahead and apply for a secured CC. I'm trying to lessen the HPs on my credit report. Is there a chance I can get approved for an unsecured CC with 619 EQ score?

Starting score as of 12/2012: EQ 570
Current score as of 02/2013: EQ 619

Current scores as of 06/2014:
EQ: 640
TU: 650
EX: 655

GOAL: 700
Message 6 of 14
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Update:

I called the backdoor number to find out the status of the application and they said it was denied.  The reason was for 10 medical collections from 2010.  They told me to pay those off and then call them back within 90 days.

This is so stupid.  If I pay all those collections off, why would I need a secured card anyway?

This is so frustrating.

Do you think I can talk to somebody else at BOA to see if they will reconsider the application?

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Do you think I should call the backdoor number again and talk to someone to see if they will look at the application again?

Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@danny4l wrote:

Do you think I should call the backdoor number again and talk to someone to see if they will look at the application again?

I likely would as it can't really hurt in this case (even if they pull again, it's not a big deal when trying to establish positive history), though I'd have a my story in order regarding the collections and that you're trying to build positive credit while working on them, etc.; open collections are not necessarily a deal killer (nor are unresolved tax liens if my own experience is any indication), but depending on the size of collection it may go to judgement status, and an open judgement anecodtally can be a no-fly zone for a number of different secured card issuers including BOFA.  

        
Message 9 of 14
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Got the BOA rejection letter in the mail today.

I thought I would let you know that the score they used was a full 25 points higher than what I was seeing on My Credit Premier.  They said my score was 646 and I was thinking I had a 621.

They said I was denied because of my medical collection accounts.

If I can pay those collections off within 90 days, maybe I will call them back to see if I qualify then.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.