cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Payment Arrangement prevent reporting?

tag
VipreArmed
Contributor

Will Payment Arrangement prevent reporting?

Question for anyone familiar with this,

I recently received a collection letter regarding an old PNC Bank account from 3 years ago.  I'm aware of the debt and I'm not disputing it.  The agency is giving me a payment plan to help resolve the debt.  I was wondering does paying on a payment plan help or hurt you chances of getting the debt reported on?  I used to work in collections a long, long time ago and I remember one of the "tricks" we used was getting people to pay on debts which would restart the statute of limitations.   But I can't pay the full amount off right now (would probably take me 2-3 payments) and I don't want to give them more time to report to CRAs.

Any advice on what should I do?  Should I contact them with a letter agreeing to paying IF they don't report?  I don't want to rock the boat but I also don't want something on my file while I'm rebuilding? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Will Payment Arrangement prevent reporting?

I would definitely request something in writing stating they won't report the debt.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 7
VipreArmed
Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:
I would definitely request something in writing stating they won't report the debt.

Is there a template for a letter like this?  I've seen "Pay for Delete" sample letters but nothing that asks to not report before they do?

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Message 3 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure. You could just take the PFD letter and tweak it a little to state they agree not to report to the CRA's in exchange for the agreed upon payment plan being completed.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector can legitimately report at any time, even after the debt has been paid.

They can report provided they had legitimate collection authority at any point in time.

You can include, as part of your negotiations, a clause agreeing not to report to any CRA as long as you make timely payments.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every creditor and or CA is different. Talk to them and ask them. Don't get your hopes up.

Message 6 of 7
VipreArmed
Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I plan on contacting them tomorrow and see if they will allow me to make payments without reporting.  

Has anyone had any success with that?  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.