cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Student Loan late payments fall off after full repayment

tag
SlowRebuild

Will Student Loan late payments fall off after full repayment

I have a 697 FICO with a goal of getting to 725 ASAP.

I have three negatives being reported on my CR:

2 from Utah Higher Education Assitance Authority (UHEAA) for late payments on my two student loans which total $16k+. (Which I pay as one consolidated loan but are reported separately.)

And one is a Capitol One charge-off ($6k~ ) from 5 years old. (Still updated every month but beyond the SOL.)

My research seems to indicate that I can't do much about the CapOne CO (correct me if I am wrong on that); so my question is about the UHEAA Student Loan late payments (up to 120 days late from 5 years ago.) 

I called UHEAA to request GW to delete my reported late payments from 5 years ago given that I had been on time now for 5 years and, in fact, paying in advance. The CSR said they could not remove them due to Federal Law. However, my research indicates that only Defaults (270+ days late) cannot be removed. I have also read conflicting opinions on whether derogs reported on student loans paid in full could be removed before 7 years had past. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Business has reversed from 5 years ago and I am pretty flush with cash now...I can afford to pay off the Student Loans entirely now if it would take off all of the lates on my report and boost my FICO the 25 or so points I need now.... Does anyone know if this is a possibility? By the way, I wouldn't want to pay off early if it's not going to achieve my goals because the interest rate if very low (1.75%) and I will be replacing it with a higher rate loan if I have the higher score to be approved for that loan...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will Student Loan late payments fall off after full repayment

@SlowRebuild wrote:

2 from Utah Higher Education Assitance Authority (UHEAA) for late payments on my two student loans which total $16k+. (Which I pay as one consolidated loan but are reported separately.)

And one is a Capitol One charge-off ($6k~ ) from 5 years old. (Still updated every month but beyond the SOL.)

My research seems to indicate that I can't do much about the CapOne CO (correct me if I am wrong on that); so my question is about the UHEAA Student Loan late payments (up to 120 days late from 5 years ago.) 

I called UHEAA to request GW to delete my reported late payments from 5 years ago given that I had been on time now for 5 years and, in fact, paying in advance. The CSR said they could not remove them due to Federal Law. However, my research indicates that only Defaults (270+ days late) cannot be removed. I have also read conflicting opinions on whether derogs reported on student loans paid in full could be removed before 7 years had past. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Business has reversed from 5 years ago and I am pretty flush with cash now...I can afford to pay off the Student Loans entirely now if it would take off all of the lates on my report and boost my FICO the 25 or so points I need now.... Does anyone know if this is a possibility? By the way, I wouldn't want to pay off early if it's not going to achieve my goals because the interest rate if very low (1.75%) and I will be replacing it with a higher rate loan if I have the higher score to be approved for that loan...

They lied on that.  If they could show me that federal law anywhere, I'd buy them a cookie.  The law only states that any information must be correct.  They could exclude that monthly posting and nothing would be in violation.  The feds even have a program to remove their federal tax liens from reports, so how would they violate their own law?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
SlowRebuild

Re: Will Student Loan late payments fall off after full repayment

@Shogun wrote:

@SlowRebuild wrote:

They lied on that.  If they could show me that federal law anywhere, I'd buy them a cookie.  The law only states that any information must be correct.  They could exclude that monthly posting and nothing would be in violation.  The feds even have a program to remove their federal tax liens from reports, so how would they violate their own law?

I realize that now. Is it better to submit the GW in writing? Anyone have a proven strategy for this type of situation?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.