cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will being an authorized user boost my credit score enough for unsecured cc?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will being an authorized user boost my credit score enough for unsecured cc?

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and this is my first post, hopefully you will be able to help me out.

When I was younger I always thought cash was king and that I would never need credit or a credit score. I recently applied for credit cards and have repeatly been denied for not having any credit what so ever. 

Will being an authorized user on a credit card with no late payments and 7% utilization be enough for me to be able to secure my own cc?

I have never had a credit card before and the only bad mark on my credit report is 2 student loans that I defaulted on 3 years back but I am currently out of default and making payments regularly.

My scores are : TU 509 EQX 497 EXP 457

I am just now starting my journey to better credit, appreciate your input, thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will being an authorized user boost my credit score enough for unsecured cc?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and this is my first post, hopefully you will be able to help me out.

When I was younger I always thought cash was king and that I would never need credit or a credit score. I recently applied for credit cards and have repeatly been denied for not having any credit what so ever. 

Will being an authorized user on a credit card with no late payments and 7% utilization be enough for me to be able to secure my own cc?

I have never had a credit card before and the only bad mark on my credit report is 2 student loans that I defaulted on 3 years back but I am currently out of default and making payments regularly.

My scores are : TU 509 EQX 497 EXP 457

I am just now starting my journey to better credit, appreciate your input, thanks!

It depends on the lender, if you share last name and/or address, and the policy of the lender.

You're better off getting a secured card.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will being an authorized user boost my credit score enough for unsecured cc?

I was going to get a capital one secured card or apply for barclays mastercard if being an authorized user helps my score and credit history go up a little. Not sure yet as the credit card I am an authorized user on hasn't reported yet.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do both!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may have to get a secured card first. Its a horrible feeling applying and getting rejected. Its a start to a long journey!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely wouldn't recommend apping for an unsecured card until you're at least in the 600's and even then only a select few unsecured would approve you.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I may have to get a secured card first. Its a horrible feeling applying and getting rejected. Its a start to a long journey!

start with 2 secured cards, BOA will be my first suggestion second is up to you, Cap 1 or watever u find.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thank you! Hopefully I am able to get approved for secured credit card. I'll let you know the outcome when everything is done.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go for CapOne a buddy of mine was just approved with a 450 score
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll probably go with the cap one secured. I'm an authorized user as well on a cap one card so might as well stay with cap one until my scores are good enough for unsecured. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.