cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it hurt score if I pay a small payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will it hurt score if I pay a small payment?

My fiancé has a few collections (old medicos bills). They haven't updated in a while. If I start making payments toward it, will the CA updating to CRA cause a drop in score?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will it hurt score if I pay a small payment?

@Anonymous wrote:
My fiancé has a few collections (old medicos bills). They haven't updated in a while. If I start making payments toward it, will the CA updating to CRA cause a drop in score?

Define "awhile"....

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA hasn't updated side Aug 2015
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In this case yes, you would possibly see a score drop.  Especially if you start making payments and then for whatever reason you have to stop, since at that point the CA will re-report the remaining balance, making it a brand new collection again.

My advice is to make the small payments to a savings account, and once you have the full balance in there pay it off completely so it does not have a chance to re-age

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In this case yes, you would possibly see a score drop.  Especially if you start making payments and then for whatever reason you have to stop, since at that point the CA will re-report the remaining balance, making it a brand new collection again.

My advice is to make the small payments to a savings account, and once you have the full balance in there pay it off completely so it does not have a chance to re-age

+1

You'll also have the savings on hand to offer as a settlement if they threaten to sue.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
CA hasn't updated side Aug 2015

Less than one year old you might see a slight (or no) change - two years or more would be bigger...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.