cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying off a judgement improve my score?

tag
thomarv

Will paying off a judgement improve my score?

So I have two judgements on my report, one was paid but doesn't show paid, the other i need to pay.  So the questions i have are 1)Will paying and having the Credit Bureau verify, remove the judgement from my report? and 2) Will this improve my score and if so by how much?  Thanks for the help!

Goal: Get a home for my family!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Will paying off a judgement improve my score?

Only way to remove a judgement (public record) is having a judge vacate them once paid in full. You will need to call the court and ask if that can be done. Then and only then the court will remove it from public records. 

DaBears

Message 2 of 10
thomarv

Ok great, so what kind of impact can i expect on my score when they are off the public record?

Message 3 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

It's a YMMV thing. I seen some people raise up 30-60 points. Some less. You have anything else negative on your reports?

Message 4 of 10
thomarv

Wow, that would be amazing, I have about 9 collection accounts, some really old some recent, that's all i have.

Message 5 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Always start with the most recent collections. those are hurting your scores cause them being recent. If you have the funds I would offer a PFD on those

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unpaid judgments do not have a set CR exclusion date of 7 years from date of entry of the judgment.

While the judgment remains enforceable, meaning the separate statute of limitations on enforceability of the judgment has not expired, the exclusion period is extended until the SOL on enforceability has also expired.

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Unpaid judgments do not have a set CR exclusion date of 7 years from date of entry of the judgment.

While the judgment remains enforceable, meaning the separate statute of limitations on enforceability of the judgment has not expired, the exclusion period is extended until the SOL on enforceability has also expired.

It can be but seldom is.  Most unpaid judgments are removed 7 years from the filing date.

Message 8 of 10
jbrown773
Contributor

I was wondering the same thing. does a Paid judgemnt/collection improve your score or does your score remain the same it only affects individual readings by lenders?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Neither should improve your score as far as payment of a PR/collections but it has happened. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.