cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying off a student loan hurt my score?

tag
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Will paying off a student loan hurt my score?

That would take me from 3 installment accounts (2 loans and a car) to only 2 and I don't own a house so I don't have a mortgage. I'm going to do it anyway, but I'm just wondering if the hit to my mix will hurt my score?

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will paying off a student loan hurt my score?

@OHWWCB wrote:

That would take me from 3 installment accounts (2 loans and a car) to only 2 and I don't own a house so I don't have a mortgage. I'm going to do it anyway, but I'm just wondering if the hit to my mix will hurt my score?

It should not hit you at all as you still have 2 open instalment loans and if it does the points are really nothing to worry about. Never worry about paying off instalment loans just to maintain a slightly higher Fico they dont give you much bang in the end. Revolving credit is where the game is.

Message 2 of 3
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Will paying off a student loan hurt my score?

@gdale6 wrote:

@OHWWCB wrote:

It should not hit you at all as you still have 2 open instalment loans and if it does the points are really nothing to worry about. Never worry about paying off instalment loans just to maintain a slightly higher Fico they dont give you much bang in the end. Revolving credit is where the game is.

Okay, cool. Thank you!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.