cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying on my charged off auto make a difference to my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will paying on my charged off auto make a difference to my credit score?

Norman, is it the 1099-C that makes the situation different than a charge off that never got to the point of a 1099-C?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Norman, is it the 1099-C that makes the situation different than a charge off that never got to the point of a 1099-C?

Yes, "but" - it depends on the lender and how they view the situation. Some lenders argues that the 1099C is just an IRS formality, and they may continue to report each month and not zero out the balance - BofA is notorious for this. They have even gone so far as to later sue debtors to collect on balances they have 1099'd. Other lenders OTOH, will go ahead and discharge the debt with the 1099C, zero the balance and close the books on it.

The whole 1099C situation is a bit muddy.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

And that is exactly what is happening with my Capital One account that was charged off and then 1099-C sent.  They are no longer pursuing the debt but each month my report shows as "failure to pay" the $1000 balance owed.  I did send a dispute thru Experian 2 days ago trying to verify accuracy of balance and I mentioned the 1099-C.. I've paid taxes on the 1099-C amount.  Will see what happens.  

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in the same boat. On Mon I called about an old Cap 1 charge off to find out what I could do to clear this up. I spoke to very nice lady at Cap 1 who advised me that I should have received a 1099-C in Mar 2015 regarding this account. I checked my 2014 taxes and in fact I did report the amount she said the 1099-C had listed. She advised me that Cap 1 was no longer pursuing payment on this account because a 1099 had been issued. She also said there could be no settlement offered. She did say if I was to pay on the account I would have to pay the full balance of about 1K either in lump sum or in payments. She said since there is no payment due or a due date I was to pay whenever I wanted. She never asked for payment, only gave me options. She also mentioned that if the balance is ever paid in full that I could call back 22 days after last payment posted and request a letter stating paid in full. Maybe it's the 1099-C that throws a wrench into the whole situation. I'm still undecided on how to move forward with this as well. That is my 2 cents. Good luck.

It really depends on your short and long term goals as to whether you should pay or not. I can wait another year and 3 months and my CO will fall off however I do not wnat to wait a year and since its a debt that I owe, I will do teh right thing and pay it off. Not only will this reflect positively on mt CR, the creditors i am currently with will see me as being more credit worthy in the longterm.

I was also advised by DFAS that I wasnt required to pay, and after I paid the account it did not become current. Its still dated Aug 2010 but showing a lesser balance. DFAS has reported this CO on my CR since Aug 2010 every single month.

Thats what I meant by "monthly updating". The OP would not be seeing monthly updates since the OC has given up pursuit of the debt via the 1099C. I'm not saying he should NOT make good on the debt - just that he would probably be better off saving up and doing a lump sum settlement/PIF, rather than monthly payments.

I agree with you, as long as goodwill is made toward the payment of the debt.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in the same boat. On Mon I called about an old Cap 1 charge off to find out what I could do to clear this up. I spoke to very nice lady at Cap 1 who advised me that I should have received a 1099-C in Mar 2015 regarding this account. I checked my 2014 taxes and in fact I did report the amount she said the 1099-C had listed. She advised me that Cap 1 was no longer pursuing payment on this account because a 1099 had been issued. She also said there could be no settlement offered. She did say if I was to pay on the account I would have to pay the full balance of about 1K either in lump sum or in payments. She said since there is no payment due or a due date I was to pay whenever I wanted. She never asked for payment, only gave me options. She also mentioned that if the balance is ever paid in full that I could call back 22 days after last payment posted and request a letter stating paid in full. Maybe it's the 1099-C that throws a wrench into the whole situation. I'm still undecided on how to move forward with this as well. That is my 2 cents. Good luck.

It really depends on your short and long term goals as to whether you should pay or not. I can wait another year and 3 months and my CO will fall off however I do not wnat to wait a year and since its a debt that I owe, I will do teh right thing and pay it off. Not only will this reflect positively on mt CR, the creditors i am currently with will see me as being more credit worthy in the longterm.

I was also advised by DFAS that I wasnt required to pay, and after I paid the account it did not become current. Its still dated Aug 2010 but showing a lesser balance. DFAS has reported this CO on my CR since Aug 2010 every single month.

Thats what I meant by "monthly updating". The OP would not be seeing monthly updates since the OC has given up pursuit of the debt via the 1099C. I'm not saying he should NOT make good on the debt - just that he would probably be better off saving up and doing a lump sum settlement/PIF, rather than monthly payments.

I agree with you, as long as goodwill is made toward the payment of the debt.

Another reason to not do a monthly repayment plan is that if you should happen to have financial difficulty and stop paying, in most states this is considered a new default for which you can be sued - the often mentioned "reset of SOL". It does not effect reporting, but it does effect the period during which you can be sued for the debt.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nickkinfl, I too had an auto loan with a CU but turned the car back into them in 2014. I tried to contact them afterwards but they kept telling me I had to wait for the car to be sold. As time went on the further this got from my mind. Well last month I received a nice letter in the mail from a law office stating that I need to make payment arrangements or they are going to file a judgement for the total balance which is $6600. As, a friend of mine which is a lender said that I have to have all charge offs paid before applying for a mortgage. I hope this information helps somewhat.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.