cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will settling for less on a CO increase credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will settling for less on a CO increase credit score?

I think I need to just bite the bullet with Ally and accept their settlement letter. Question is, will my score increase once I pay it? (it's for less than the amount owed). I just can not handle them updating the charge off every single month!! They will NOT do a PFD.. I already asked. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will settling for less on a CO increase credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I need to just bite the bullet with Ally and accept their settlement letter. Question is, will my score increase once I pay it? (it's for less than the amount owed). I just can not handle them updating the charge off every single month!! They will NOT do a PFD.. I already asked. 

A CO is a CO irregardless of whether its PIF or settled for less. Human underwriters may take issue with settle for less accounts but computers dont know the difference. If its updating monthly now settling it stops the update and your score can begin to recover. If its not updated in awhile settling it will drop your FIco so there are considerations. You want to know if its inside SOL as well and how long it has to run on your CR is also a consideration,.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The answer is .... Maybe. If it was a charged off credit card account, that reported balance would be skewing your UTI%. Settling it so it reports a zero balance will definitely help you out if you have low UTI% on your current accounts.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's my old auto lease account. Problem is that they keep updating it every single month. That's the ONLY reason I am contemplating settling with them. I do not know how much of a hit my score takes every month when they report it, but it can't possibly be good. Not sure if it's worth it to settle or not, though. 

Here's the account: (this is an old snapshot of it.. it updated again the other day.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like that will fall of your credi report this year, if it was first opened in june of 2007.

Message 5 of 10
xautodetail
Regular Contributor

well i have the same situation lake you i pay a charge-off and settler for less and my CS up 30 point this is this account report balance every month went the balance update to $ 0 report as pay is happen to me i hope you have the same .

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like that will fall of your credi report this year, if it was first opened in june of 2007.

No, COed accounts remain on file for 7.5 yrs from the DoFD not the open date.

Message 7 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's my old auto lease account. Problem is that they keep updating it every single month. That's the ONLY reason I am contemplating settling with them. I do not know how much of a hit my score takes every month when they report it, but it can't possibly be good. Not sure if it's worth it to settle or not, though. 

Here's the account: (this is an old snapshot of it.. it updated again the other day.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If its updating monthly now there is no additional hit to score every month it just cant recover. You are going to want to settle this to stop is constant updating, PFD would be preferrable but settle it even if they wont do it, you can switch to GW letters later.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This question may have been answered, but can CO update account which are past SOL? Sorry if this has been covered in the past... If yes, how can it be stopped from reporting so util is decreased...

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is hurting your score the most is the balance.  It impacts your utilization.  It isn't the reporting date.  The last pmt was 2011. That is the date the scoring system sees and the date drving how long it stays on your report.  I have one collection that I started working on in February supposedly from 2010. They now update monthly. It isn't changing or dropping my score with the reporting.  It is just holding my score back because it us a collection.   Look at your utilization. If the balance is included, you should consider settling.  

Edited to add: I am on a tablet and didn't think util. Was mentioned so my post is just a repeat. Sorry

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.