Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this drop off on its own?

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Will this drop off on its own?

I have an old utility bill that I totally forgot to pay when I moved out of GA.  Well, now it's on my CR as a collection from WAAAY back and it's unpaid... it IS unpaid, I don't dispute that.  Should I just leave this alone or try for PFD?  It seems like it's going to drop off on its own in Jan of 2011.... is this right?

THANKS GUYS!!!!

Collection agency [?] Original balance [?] Current balance [?] Status [?] Date assigned [?] Date reported [?] Date last active [?] Date paid [?] Date closed [?] Original lender [?] Account number [?] Type of account [?] Account holder [?] Type of credit [?] Payment status [?] Largest past balance [?] Amount past due [?] Account descriptions [?]
Stallings Fn
$175
$175
Collection account
Jan 14, 2004
Jan 02, 2008
Not Reported
Not Reported
Not Reported
01 Marietta Power
XXX0140
Not Reported
Individual
Not Reported
Not Reported
Not Reported
Not Reported
Not Reported

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will this drop off on its own?

None of those dates really tell you anything. The date that is is important is DoFD (Date of First Delinquency). That is the date you first went delinquent on this account and never caught back up. A collection will stay for 7-7.5 years from this DoFD. (There are different opinions about whether it is 7 years or 7.5 but it cannot stay longer than 7.5 years by law).

You can get the DoFD from the original creditor or if you pull your free reports from annualcreditreport.com Experian and Transunion will have the drop off dates. The Equifax report will show the actual DOFD. IME this dates are pretty accurate.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 12
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks as always for the super fast response.

Interestingly enough, I have a CR that I pulled from annualcreditreport.com back in August for Experian.  The EX report shows the following regarding this account:

Date opened:  01/2004

Reported since:  03/2004

Date of Status:  04/2004

Last Reported:  01/2008

STATUS DETAILS:  This account is scheduled to continue on record until Aug. 2010.

I pulled myfico reports for EQ and TU the other day and it's off of EQ but still on TU.  Should I do anything at this point?

Thank You!!

Message 3 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

It's been about 6 weeks since it was scheduled to be gone. Have you pulled your TU report from annualcreditreport.com? I would check that first.

From a BK years ago to:
TU - 8/10-772

Message 4 of 12
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

I tried but I've already gotten them all this year once.  So I called in and apparently they're all coming in the mail in about 15 days?  Does that sound right?  For free?

I'm going to check it then and if it's still on there, do I dispute with the CB directly?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 12
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@pritchardhallhokie wrote:

I tried but I've already gotten them all this year once.  So I called in and apparently they're all coming in the mail in about 15 days?  Does that sound right?  For free?

I'm going to check it then and if it's still on there, do I dispute with the CB directly?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Who did you call? Do you mean all three CR's from each of the CRA's?

and yes dispute with TU if it is still on the TU report. Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

I would wait for the report and see. If it's still on there i would then dispute with TU that this is past the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period).

From a BK years ago to:
TU - 8/10-772

Message 7 of 12
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

I called the number on annualcreditreport.com and did the automated voice response thing and ordered all three reports to be mailed to me.  This is legit, right?

Message 8 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I called the number on annualcreditreport.com and did the automated voice response thing and ordered all three reports to be mailed to me.  This is legit, right?

Did you call this number? 1-877-322-8228.

From a BK years ago to:
TU - 8/10-772

Message 9 of 12
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

That's the one!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.