cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

tag
midwestgirl44
Contributor

Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

Need some help on a couple of judgments from a while back that are not marked as paid even though they are.

#1 - Says the judgment was filed in 7/2007 and Transunion says it is scheduled to come off my report on 6/2014. This was paid in full 10/2007.

#2 - Says the judgment was filed in 12/2006 and Transunion says it is scheduled to come off my report on 11/2013. This was paid in full 3/2007.

Question is: Should I dispute to have them show as "Paid" or should I just leave them alone until they fall off? We aren't looking to buy a house until 2016.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

Hi there.  I recently disputed with all 3 bureaus to get my judgment to state "Satisfied".  That happened, no score change.  Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

If I were you , I would dispute the amount to list as Paid or as Satisfied.

You probably will not see a score jump, but it would look better on a manual review to show as paid.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

If I were you , I would dispute the amount to list as Paid or as Satisfied.

You probably will not see a score jump, but it would look better on a manual review to show as paid.

Plus it was on my pre-approval letter that the judgment had to be paid to qualify.  I'm nearly certain you won't get any points.  But it should definitely be taken care of.

Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

impRe: Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

I agree that you wont see a FICO score improvement, in that FICO does not score either the payment or nonpayment of debt.

However, I would make sure the current status is updated, so that if they have a reason for not updating it, you become aware of it and can address it long before you apply for any credit where a manual review of your CR might be done.

I would not address this initially by filing a dispute.  I would contact the judgment creditor and try to have them update it informally.

If that does not get favorable results, then I would file a direct dispute.

Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: impRe: Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

@RobertEG wrote:

in that FICO does not score either the payment or nonpayment of debt.

That would only apply to collections and public records.Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: impRe: Will updating Judgment to paid reset the clock?

@RobertEG wrote:

I agree that you wont see a FICO score improvement, in that FICO does not score either the payment or nonpayment of debt.

However, I would make sure the current status is updated, so that if they have a reason for not updating it, you become aware of it and can address it long before you apply for any credit where a manual review of your CR might be done.

I would not address this initially by filing a dispute.  I would contact the judgment creditor and try to have them update it informally.

If that does not get favorable results, then I would file a direct dispute.

I must respectfully disagree. As would (I believe) someone with a single 30 day late payment who sees their scores drop 30, 40, 50 points or more.

Non-payment of debt is most definitely scored.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.