cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Williams & Fudge deleted - should I be excited or worried?

tag
dparhanr
Established Member

Williams & Fudge deleted - should I be excited or worried?

For a while I had a ~$250 collection on my reports from Williams & Fudge inc. The debt was unpaid fees from my last semester at a tech school. W&F originally reported the debt in August of 2014. They reported as a collection for 14 months (8/2014-12/2015).

The collection has been removed from all of my reports. I do not want to contact them and have them start reporting again. However, when I contact the school I am told that as far as their system shows the debt is still at W&F. I was hoping that it had been returned to the school.

Is it being kicked back to the school and it just has not happened yet? Did they sell it to a different company? Did they give up?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: Williams & Fudge deleted - should I be excited or worried?

Hard to know. Does the OC still report the debt on your reports?

Message 2 of 5
dparhanr
Established Member

No OC never reported it.
Message 3 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Until it hits CRTP, or you have a PFD letter in hand, always be worried. Unethical CA's will retract &reinsert to ding you harder than what's technically "legal."

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA reporting manual instructs debt collectors to delete their reporting if their collection authority is terminated and the debt remains unpaid.

That policy is in effect in anticipation of the possible reporting of a new debt collector, and is intended to avoid the simultaneous inclusion of more than one collection on the same debt.

If the debt collector only had assigned collection authority, they may have been terminated by the OC and the rep simply was not aware of that fact, or the debt collector may be in the process of withdrawing.  If the debt collector owned the debt, perhaps they sold it to another.

If the debt collector still has collection authority and deleted, only they can tell you why.  It could be for any of your stated reasons.

What is the DOFD that was reported on the debt?

If the DOFD is approx 7 years or more ago, then the collection may have been excluded from your credit report by the CRAs, and not deleted by the debt collector.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.