Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won against LVNV judgment!

tag
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Won against LVNV judgment!

I was served with papers back in November from a lawyer suing me on behalf of LVNV for $1700, resulting from a $300 Sears card they stated I had.  I do recall this account, but I had believed it had been paid in full and closed out by the time I was 21.  The only date they had listed was 02/2001, and unfortunately the SOL in my state is 15 ys, so I knew I would have to fight it. And of course I don't have my bank records from 13 years ago to show payment completed on the statement. So I read, and read, and read on the forums!

In my initial phone call to the company I requested documentation that it was in fact my debt. They said they did not yet have that information and that they would call once available.  I called again last week because honestly it was the holidays and I was working a lot of overtime and completely forgot that I hadn't heard back from them. Again, this second time they stated they didn't have  any information.  And I called again last evening since the date was for today.  Still, no information.

.....copied from my original questions post......

Went for the small claims court date today, and of course LVNV had not provided their lawyer with any documentation! The lawyer tried to settle with me before going into the court room, but I said no.  After all the cases had been called for check in we went back in the hall and she agreed to dismiss my case! But I told her I wanted it dismissed with prejudice since there was no information on the debt and I didn't want to be called back in another year over the same thing and miss work again. She said no. I told her when we went up to sign with the judge I would explain to him that I asked her to file with prejudice and my reason being lack of evidence. We went back into the court room and the judge was very hard on a few of the other lawyers who weren't well prepared.  The lawyer pulled me back out and granted the dismiss with prejudice because she STATED the judge will be too hard on her and probably grant it anyway!!! YAY! Thank you to this board for all the reading I have done over the past few weeks about fighting this judgment!!!

So keep at it, if you are served with a judgment, keep reading and listen to the advice from these members! If I had only accepted the dismissal, I would be stuck worrying if they were ever coming after me again. But I was educated and able to get dismissed with prejudice! Be prepared for court, including professonal dress and appropriate manners.  You wouldn't believe how the some of the clients were dressed, and the judge seemed to be very harsh on those clients, and lawyers alike!!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Won against LVNV judgment!

Perfect !

You did it exactly the way you should have.... Most people give up when they have to go to court, but if you are informed and polite many times you win.

+1000

I especially like the fact you beat LVNV Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 15
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats!!!

Message 3 of 15
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

YES!!! Great job!! Way not to give up!!

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 4 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 5 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: atRe: Won against LVNV judgment!

Congrats!!

Message 6 of 15
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

Re: atRe: Won against LVNV judgment!

Thank God!!   I'm so fed up with reading LVNV is suing someone on this forum...i'm thinkin about suing them just because I hate them.   Congratulations big time!!  Booyah!

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 7 of 15
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 15
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Thanks all!!

I hope this encourages others to follow your gut,  no matter how nervous you are! I was shaking like a leaf, because I have zero legal background, and do not like confrontation at all.  But I somehow mustered up the courage to just simply ask for the things I was taught about on this forum and through the advice from my lawyer friend, I was able to beat these jerks!! I felt so bad because there was another young woman who looked very professional, and polite, and she agreed to the debt of $2800 and set up payment arrangements, also sued by LVNV.  I was so disappointed for her, and wished I had been able to give her encouragement but she had already admitted fault on her answer back to the court.

Make sure you understand the terms before you make requests, such as I had not read up enough on 'dismiss with prejudice'. It was only after my lawyer friend texted me and told me to have them add 'with prejudice' to the statement, which was the frosting on the cake!

Message 9 of 15
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Just as a follow up, the 'with prejudice' status should be cause to have the account deleted from your credit report if its being reported as a negative (7 years vs... SOL for filing suits) . 

In Virginia, the SOL is only 3 years for suits, but if you manage to have a suit dismissed with out the 'with prejudice' or typically changed to "non-suit" status (they can re-file, but very rarely do), I learned the hard way that the CRA's will generally NOT remove the negative entry even though the court action results are/were that there is not enough or no proof to justify the negative entry. Account line entry owner just verifies that the information is correct through e-Oscar and CRA's accept it as valid and ignore any docket number or court publicly published results.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.