Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Words of Encouragement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Words of Encouragement

My friends, the reason I am writing this email is to provide an update on my progress toward improving my credit. The main reason I submit messages on MYFICO is to impress upon others, who might be in the situation that I was in 13 months ago, that in this beautiful country of ours there are second and third chances after a person has basically ruined their credit. I am living proof that the day you tell yourself that you want to start the path toward good / excellent credit is the day everything can and will change for you. My decision began almost 14 months ago. Almost every single day I think back to August 2014 when the only cards I had in my wallet were two debits cards. Flash forward to today where I now have several Amex cards, a Discover card, Capital One cards, Macy’s Amex, Chevron card, Walmart card, etc. I have gone from having zero credit in August 2014 to $1,000.00 in secured credit cards in September 2014 to approximately $60,000.00 in unsecured credit cards as of the writing of this email. Just last week my wife said to me that having good credit and available credit is life altering. I make a decent salary (just shy of 6 figures) however the feeling of financial freedom was not realized until I was deemed credit worthy.   My friends, I am not sharing this information to gloat but rather to impress upon others who may be in what they think a doom and gloom situation that there is life after bad credit and that recovery, although it does take time, patience, and commitment, is very doable. Every single day I do something related to my credit portfolio. Often it’s just making sure that nothing strange is going on with my accounts. I believe that one’s commitment to achieving good credit has to be treated like a part time job. You have to make managing your credit a part of your everyday life.

So far, my biggest hindrance to my own success is my inability to stay in the “garden.” I went from having 2 inquires across the board to 15. While it has hurt me in some respects, in other respects it has served me well since it allowed to me amass a significant amount of credit within a short time period. However just last week I received a denial letter from Chase bank indicating that they would not extend me credit because of too many inquiries within a 2 year period. That letter alone was enough for me to put the cap on applying for additional credit. So as it stands, I will be in the garden for at least 12 months. I know this is a lengthy email and some are probably saying "here’s 5 minutes of my life that I can’t get back" but if it helps just one person feel a little better about the position that they are in, then I would have paid it forward for the inspiration I received from MYFICO in August 2014. While there are clearly more informed members on this site I would nonetheless wish to extend any assistance by way of answering questions you may have.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Words of Encouragement

Great work, keep it up!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job!

What were your scores, then and now?

Message 3 of 10
Blessedsoul01

Thank you so much for that. I needed to read this. Great job on your due diligience and I will continue to move forward with my credit battles!!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My friends, the reason I am writing this email is to provide an update on my progress toward improving my credit. The main reason I submit messages on MYFICO is to impress upon others, who might be in the situation that I was in 13 months ago, that in this beautiful country of ours there are second and third chances after a person has basically ruined their credit. I am living proof that the day you tell yourself that you want to start the path toward good / excellent credit is the day everything can and will change for you. My decision began almost 14 months ago. Almost every single day I think back to August 2014 when the only cards I had in my wallet were two debits cards. Flash forward to today where I now have several Amex cards, a Discover card, Capital One cards, Macy’s Amex, Chevron card, Walmart card, etc. I have gone from having zero credit in August 2014 to $1,000.00 in secured credit cards in September 2014 to approximately $60,000.00 in unsecured credit cards as of the writing of this email. Just last week my wife said to me that having good credit and available credit is life altering. I make a decent salary (just shy of 6 figures) however the feeling of financial freedom was not realized until I was deemed credit worthy.   My friends, I am not sharing this information to gloat but rather to impress upon others who may be in what they think a doom and gloom situation that there is life after bad credit and that recovery, although it does take time, patience, and commitment, is very doable. Every single day I do something related to my credit portfolio. Often it’s just making sure that nothing strange is going on with my accounts. I believe that one’s commitment to achieving good credit has to be treated like a part time job. You have to make managing your credit a part of your everyday life.

So far, my biggest hindrance to my own success is my inability to stay in the “garden.” I went from having 2 inquires across the board to 15. While it has hurt me in some respects, in other respects it has served me well since it allowed to me amass a significant amount of credit within a short time period. However just last week I received a denial letter from Chase bank indicating that they would not extend me credit because of too many inquiries within a 2 year period. That letter alone was enough for me to put the cap on applying for additional credit. So as it stands, I will be in the garden for at least 12 months. I know this is a lengthy email and some are probably saying "here’s 5 minutes of my life that I can’t get back" but if it helps just one person feel a little better about the position that they are in, then I would have paid it forward for the inspiration I received from MYFICO in August 2014. While there are clearly more informed members on this site I would nonetheless wish to extend any assistance by way of answering questions you may have.

Well done! Your story echoes many in this forum, including myself. You are so right. It is life-altering...

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's nice to know that you can bounce back!

12 years ago I got divorced - literally lived on my credit cards for about a year - amassed almost $100K in debt (not counting the mortgage).

My second husband received an inheritance and we paid off the majority of the debt (settlements totally about $60-70K) and closed accounts.   (this was in 2004)

I have had NO cards - except my debit cards until this summer.    Heck in 2012 I was amazed I was able to get a car loan at any interest rate (I ended up at 14%) - and then ended up being the co-signer on my husbands car. (about 7%)  TU score 573 on CK

He has what I call a thin file - and can't cards - and when mine are aged a bit - I'll try to add him as AU on them to help him out.

In March I pulled scores on Credit Karma - There were still the high 500's and I got to work.   My parents helped me pay off my car (I now make payments to them - so I"m clear on paper - at 0%)   I take the extra $200 month I'm saving to clear things up and make sure EVERYTHING is paid ON TIME.    I disputed a couple of items on my report -that dropped off - and   In July my actual scores ranged from 572-651 EX, TU, EQ.

by the beginning of August I got on here and learned that I needed some cards.   I used to have a secured card -but couldn't graduate it and ended up closing it and switching banks ( US BANK) do to other issues some time ago.

I applied for and got 4 cards - all unsecured (in my signature) and am working the GW campaign now.  on Sept 23 my scores were all much improved  633-662!

I'm working to buy a house next summer and we are trying hard to save up.

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Great progress, congrats  Emoticon-Thumbs Up.png

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I started my journey, my scores were as follows: Experian 560, Equifax 590, and Transunion 610.   Currently my scores are:  Experian 692, Equifax 690 and Transunion 726.  Hopefully within the next 12 months all scores will be 750 and above.   

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are  welcome.   Stay the course because it does get better.  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.  I wish you continued success.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.